10

it was odd.

as yumi's consciousness drifted in between the murky nightmare that she was having and a connection with the real world, she distinctly remembered drowning.

however, as she refused to open her eyes, she felt something soft drape over her body and it was warm and dry, unlike what she was expecting.

still not opening her eyes, she assumed that maybe she was going to go to heaven and this was the first step. unfortunately this was not the case and she seemed to figure that out when a low and soft voice spoke.

apparently whoever it was was speaking to her and she laid and listened.

"why did you do that?" he frowned and stroked the pieces of hair away from her face. he continued to trace the features on her face and a slight smile started appearing while his eyes curved into half-moon shapes. 

he was whispering to himself, not knowing that yumi was conscious now, "so beautiful," he commented.

at this point, yumi had realized who was by her side and her heart was racing. lee jeno? the lee jeno who looks like a god himself thought she was beautiful?

her eyes fluttered open as she wanted to get a good look of jeno's ethereal face, as if picturing him inside of her head wasn't enough. jeno noticed immediately and moved back, his cheeks a delicate shade of pink. 

"oh you're awake," jeno said in a soft voice, knowing that yumi disliked loud talking and was probably even more sensitive to it at the moment. 

yumi nodded and smiled at him briefly, "what happened?"

jeno frowned, and he helped her sit up before answering the question, "haechan called me and told me to pick you up and that's when i saw you in the water. yumi what were you thinking?"

yumi avoided his gaze, "i wasn't. sometimes i just have this unquestionable instinct to do things like that."

jeno felt like there wasn't more to be said. he didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

"do you perhaps know nayu? like before you started hanging out with haechan?" he asked, curious.

"she's my step sister."

jeno blinked, the pieces were easy to put together now. feeling a bit awkward that he had asked her that, he helped her stand up instead, "come on let's go to the kitchen, you need to eat."

that was the thing about jeno. he wasn't good with conversations and often stayed out of trying to get to know people. instead, he showed his affections through his actions: something that he hoped yumi had figured out.

he wrapped one of his arms around yumi's waist and helped her walk to the kitchen, smiling a little as he felt yumi cling to him for support. 

she was really pretty. that was the first thing that jeno had thought when he had first met her through chenle. when he got to know her more, he was surprised. initially, anyone would think that yumi was cold and mean. but she was the opposite.

yumi was a warm and kind person, but she was wary of people. jeno liked to think that she had opened up the most to him out of all of the other dreamies besides chenle. he was probably wrong.

as they entered the kitchen, he was too busy looking at yumi to notice what was in front of him. yumi, on the other hand, widened her eyes in shock and she started trembling a little. that was when jeno turned to see what was making her upset.

in plain view and on the kitchen table, nayu was sitting with her dress hitched up and haechan standing in between her legs. his mouth was attached to her neck and her nails were clawing at his back.

jeno instantly turned yumi and hugged her into his chest, not wanting her to watch it any longer. he cleared his throat, "lee donghyuck."

haechan turned at the usage of his real name in shock. he got an even bigger shock when he saw yumi in jeno's embrace and he cursed under his breath.

he narrowed his eyes at nayu and pushed her away, telling her to get out of the house. jeno shook his head in disapproval as haechan approached the pair. 

"what happened to her? is she sick or something?" haechan asked about yumi.

in a muffled tone since she was still pressed against jeno's chest, yumi answered in a bitter tone, "as if you care."

haechan blinked, "why are you two hugging?" he had the audacity to ask as he wiped traces of lipstick away from his face.

jeno's lip curled up in disgust, "we don't have to answer this question, not when you were making out with her-"

jeno stopped talking when yumi's grip tightened around his waist, he had gotten the signal that she didn't want haechan to know. 

he pushed past haechan and wiped the kitchen table before letting yumi sit down on one of the chairs. he grabbed a bowl of porridge that he had cooked a while ago for yumi and sat down next to her. 

"you made this for me?" yumi blinked at jeno, suprised.

jeno smiled, "say ahhh."

yumi turned red, "i-i can eat by myself..."

jeno shook his head, "stop it. let me take care of you today."

yumi opened her mouth reluctantly and he fed her, thoroughly enjoying the moment. in the background, haechan's hands clenched into fists at the sight of them sitting so close to each other.

he rolled his eyes whenever jeno smiled at her and she smiled back. he especially hated the way jeno had taken her hands and placed them in his hoodie pocket to "warm them up."

haechan stomped his way out of the kitchen and up to his room, making sure that the slam on his door rang throughout the house. 

after i said you're a pretty person if you vote on my book, votes went up y'all are funny 💀