25

"so your telling me i used to live with you guys? and we were best friends? why would i live with a bunch of gang members?" yumi asked question after question.

she was seated comfortably next to chenle and jeno, feeling at ease with both of them for a reason she didn't know. from time to time, she glanced at haechan, wondering why he continuously refused to meet her eyes. did they part on bad terms?

chenle snickered, "that's rich coming from a girl who was standing on the roof with a big sniper gun."

yumi blinked, "you have a point, but this is the only way i can repay back a debt i owe."

"why were you even standing there?" jaemin asked, his arms folded.

yumi hesitated a little, "i- i was commissioned to kill haechan. but for some reason when he turned around i couldn't bring myself to do it. it must be because we were such good friends in the past."

haechan's heart clenched and then shattered at the way she called him a friend. she really didn't remember anything. not even their love. 

"i don't how mad he will be when i see him next, a commission has never taken this long for me to do. and now that i know you guys were a part of my past, i don't know how to tell him that i'm not going to go through with the deal," she muttered to herself. 

before any of them could ask who "he" was, jeno held her hand and stood up, "come on. you can stay with us for the time being while we figure out how to regain your memories. 

haechan stood up too, forcing himself to look into yumi's eyes, "you can stay in my room," he said at the same time as jeno. the room silenced itself, everyone was looking in between jeno and haechan, feeling a sense of deja vu wash over. 

they were back at square one, it seems with yumi's re-entry into their lives, jeno wasn't going to let a second chance go to waste. even if haechan was yumi's former boyfriend. jeno's grip tightened a bit on yumi's hand and she smiled, "i'll just stay with jeno, you seem tense around me haechan and i don't want to make you feel uncomfortable."

"that's not-" haechan began but jeno cut him off.

"cool! come on i'll show you my room," jeno skipped away with yumi, leaving the rest of the boys to stare at haechan's defeated expression.

"come on don't be so sad, you know she loves you. you just need to help her remember the time you guys spent together," renjun tried to cheer his friend up.

haechan sighed and sat back down, his back slouching, "what if she never remembers? what if i lose her to jeno for such a stupid reason? it hurts, guys, i don't think you understand."

jaemin cleared his throat, "actually, i do. i know what heartbreak feels like, i know how painful it is when the person you love seems like they're moving on. but this is different, yumi has always loved only you even when you guys were in rough times. even if she doesn't regain her memories back, her heart can't lie."

"but jeno-" haechan argued.

"jeno this, jeno that. of course jeno is going to act like that. he loved her too, just as much as you did. in his eyes, you only gave her a hard time at the beginning. you have to be understanding for him too," jisung said out loud and the rest of the boys nodded, "you would do the same if you were in his shoes."

the boys took turns patting haechan on the back and then going upstairs to their own rooms. he was left alone to ponder his friends words and his own confusing thoughts.

meanwhile, in jeno's room, the boy had sat yumi down on the bed and was listening carefully as she talked about what she remembered. their hands were still clasped together.

"i only remember waking up in the hospital in japan. a man was sitting next to me and told me i had gotten in a car accident. in exchange for him paying my medical bills, he told me to work for him and i had no choice to agree. i had no idea how i got to japan and i didn't even speak the language, it was my only choice. the bill was too much for me to handle alone in a foreign country since i was unconscious for so long."

jeno sighed, his heart breaking for the girl and what she had to go through, "when did you come back to korea?"

"a few months ago. i tried to run away after getting off at the airport but he found me anyways. i hate him and he scares me but i owe him a lot. if i don't finish a commission or something goes wrong, he gets really... violent," yumi confessed. 

"who is it?" jeno asked, curious as to who his girl got tangled up with.

"he's called yuta."

jeno froze, and yumi tilted her head, "what's wrong?"

"yuta... is a part of our gang. he's in a different unit so.i haven't seen him in a while. why would he want haechan dead if he's one of us? it doesn't make sense," jeno scratched his head in confusion.

yumi patted his hand, "there are a lot of yuta's out there. i'm sure this isn't the same one."

jeno's lips pressed together, "i'll go to their base and ask tomorrow, we have to be sure that there isn't a traitor within the gang," he stroked her hair, "you can go wash up and wear any of my clothes in the closet."

yumi didn't move, she wanted to ask something, "why do you i feel more comfortable with you than most of the others? why are you so willing to hold my hand and offer your room for me? jeno, what were we?"

jeno didn't answer, "go wash up, it's been a long day. i'll answer your question another time," he offered an eye smile.

oh how he wanted to tell her that she was his.

y'all thought i was done with my jeno-ing 🤡