23

two years later...

yumi stared at the blood on her jacket for a little and shrugged, pulling it off. she had just moved back to seoul in the past month and was doing a round of commissions that yuta had given her.

the girl tossed her dirty jacket into a nearby trash can, strolling around in her newfound free time. she had a meeting soon with yuta again to accept another commission but she wanted to be late, he got on her nerves. 

she paused in front of a mildly familiar ice cream shop and entered, wanting something sweet to drown out the sickly feeling of killing people. 

"one mint chocolate ice cream cone please," yumi ordered and smiled at the old lady who took her order. she paid with a bill that was covered in bloody fingerprints. she was lucky the the woman's eyesight wasn't good enough to see it. 

yumi grabbed her ice cream and bowed to the woman before making her way out of the shop, still fumbling with her wallet. 

while she was struggling to open the door, a boy in a cap and a mask pushed through rather roughly and bumped into her, making her drop her wallet. 

yumi bowed and apologized for being clumsy, not even seeing her wallet laying on the floor. she quickly avoided the boy's piercing eyes and exited the shop and ran down the street. 

the boy watched the girl run and sighed, he had wanted to tell her that she had dropped her wallet. he bent down and picked it up, pocketing it so he could give it to the police station later. he had come to buy his friends ice cream, but for some reason, seeing the girl had made him feel rather upset. 

it was weird, she was oddly familiar. the girl had also been wearing a mask and hat so he only saw her eyes. he shrugged and waved to the shop owner that he would come back another time. 

he came home and emptied his pocket's belongings on the table, along with the girl's wallet. the dreamies waltzed into the living room, chattering.

"hey! where's the ice cream? isn't that what you went out for?" jaemin nagged. 

jeno sighed, "yeah but i got distracted. i don't feel good."

jaemin gasped, "did you get a cold? let me feel your forehead."

jeno brushed jaemin away, "are any of you going in the direction of the police station later? can you drop off this wallet for me?"

the boys shook their heads and watched as jeno picked up the wallet, "i bumped into this girl at the ice cream shop today. she felt oddly familiar."

renjun shrugged, "probably someone you met in passing before, did she drop her wallet?"

jeno froze. he had opened the wallet and seen the ID on the inside. he dropped it back on the table with a clatter, "that isn't possible, we spent forever looking for her and there wasn't a single trace. what's she doing back here without letting us know? is that why she ran away from me earlier?"

haechan looked and jeno weirdly, "what are you mumbling about?" he grabbed the wallet to see for himself and gasped as the boys passed it around with looks of shock.

haechan stood up abruptly, tears in his eyes as he grabbed his phone and rushed out, "i need to see her," he was desperate. it had been years since they thought she had died or something worse. 

nobody bothered to stop haechan because they were all in shock themselves. jeno put his face in his hands, "what's going on? has she been here all along? wouldn't she recognize me?"

shotaro pat jeno on the back, "you were wearing a mask and a hat, maybe she didn't know."

they were empty words of comfort and everyone knew it. yumi would definitely recognize anyone from NCT with just their eyes. something was wrong and the boys shifted in their seats uncomfortably. 

haechan arrived in front of the ice cream shop out of breath. he shoved his way past the line of people, "did a girl come in here earlier? a pretty girl with smiling eyes and long hair?"

the old woman gave haechan a look, "sir, you're disrupting my business."

it was no use. the ice cream shop was popular and the woman wouldn't know who haechan was talking about. he left the shop and sat against the wall, "yumi come back," he whispered. 

~

"you're late by thirty minutes, moon yumi," yuta glared at the petite girl in front of him. 

yumi shifted her feet, she had anticipated this, "it's not a big deal yuta."

"no its not. but you seem to think that i'm a joke or something. just because you're a trained killer now doesn't mean that i don't still have the upper hand here. show me some respect," he yelled.

yumi stared at him listlessly before offering a small nod of the head. 

"good," yuta tossed her a folder with a few files inside, "this is your next commission. it will be a lot harder."

yumi opened it and yuta watched her every move, trying to see if her memory would be affected any bit by this commission. 

"lee donghyuck?" she read aloud and felt that the name was vaguely familiar. however, she couldn't place her finger on it. 

yuta smirked when he saw that her eyes held no recognition for the boy she used to claim as the love of her life. 

"i'd prefer if you finished the job as discreetly as possible, i don't want to constantly have to tie up loose ends for you," he said and lifted her chin with a finger, "do we have a deal, princess?"

yumi pushed his hands away, "don't touch me. our relationship is strictly business."

"as you wish."