33

"not so fast," the old man gritted his teeth and stayed put in front of the boys and the fire. 

haechan narrowed his eyes at yumi's shitty excuse of a father and shoved him to the side, still carrying yumi in his hands. he cursed under his breath and yet the old man continued to attempt to hold him back. 

haechan nodded at jisung, who held up his gun, "if you don't stop blocking the way, i'm going to shoot you."

the old wavered a little but then huffed, "i'm not scared of two teenagers."

jisung smirked, "interesting, because your other daughter is lying dead in her room right now. guess who shot her?"

the old man's eyes widened and he stumbled, "no you didn't," he ran as fast as he could to nayu's room just at the other end of the corridor and an anguished scream pierced the air as he laid eyes on nayu's lifeless form on the carpet.

haechan knew there was no time to waste. he glanced down at yumi, who's breathing was getting slower and slower and he glanced at the large stained-glass mirror in front of him. putting yumi gently on the floor, he smashed a antique vase against the window repeatedly until it shattered into pieces. 

this would be the fastest way out, without any security guards holding them back. he told jisung, "i'm going to jump down first and you're going to have to push her down. i'll catch her don't worry we don't have much time."

jisung was doubtful, what is haechan didn't catch her for some reason? yumi would definitely have some broken bones. however, the fire was getting bigger and some voices could be heard so he took no more hesitating to push yumi over the broken window and haechan caught her safely with a huff. 

looking back one more time at the cold and austere house that was yumi's old home in her childhood, jisung jumped and ran after haechan, who was already buckling up in his car.

~

"i swear to god, haechan you need to either leave or clamp your mouth shut," haechan had brought yumi to taeil instead of to dream's medic because taeil was the most experience. however, haechan had not stopped worrying and had filled taeil's ears with long-winded theories about how he couldn't live without her.

in the end, taeil put a bandaid over haechan's mouth and sat him down in a chair and told him to hold yumi's hand and shut up. 

"all done, she'll wake up in a few minutes, it was just the smoke that took her out. be careful with her arms and hands, i put ointment and wrapped it but they're still delicate, don't let her exert too much energy," taeil was stern, "and for heaven's sake, anyone can do this, you don't have to come to me to treat burns."

haechan carried yumi again, intent on taking her back home to the dream base and stuck out his tongue, "only the best for yumi."

when yumi finally woke up, it was in haechan's bed. he had tucked her sweetly after finally arriving home, even taking care to lock the door so the others would stop checking in on her every few minutes. 

yumi turned her head to the side and say a mound of fluffy brown hair. she smiled and reached up with a bandaged hand to stroke it, causing haechan to wake up.

he slowly lifted his head up from where he had buried it into her chest and smiled cheekily, "finally," he said and lightly touched the bandages, "does it hurt a lot?"

yumi shook her head, her voice a little broken, "nothing unbearable."

haechan frowned and pulled her closer, "from this moment on, i only want you to experience good and happy things. you've been suffering for too long and i hate that you had to live like this."

yumi nodded, taking in the sincerity in his eyes, "hyuck, what happened to my dad?"

haechan bit his lip, "the house caught on fire while he was crying over nayu's dead body. he barely made it out alive and he's holding a funeral for that girl soon."

"nayu died?"

haechan nodded, "jisung had no choice to shoot her, i hope you don't take it badly."

yumi shook her head, "although she treated me badly, i still feel bad. however, i can't say that it wasn't deserved."

haechan patted his girlfriend on the head.

"hyuck?"

"hm?"

"i'd like to go that funeral."

haechan sat up straight, "why would you want to do that? that family has caused you nothing but pain. there's also no telling what your father would do if he saw you again too."

yumi shook her head, crawling into haechan's lap, "it's a public event, he won't be able to do anything. besides, i'd like to.... repay my respects to the person my father loves the most, even if he was unable to come to my mother's funeral."

haechan sighed, "you're an angel," he nuzzled his nose to hers, "how can you think of paying respects to people like them? i'll come with you."

yumi shrugged, "you were going to come anyways, i don't feel safe without you."

haechan blushed a little at the confession and fished something out of his pockets, holding out a small velvet box in front of the girl.

yumi blinked, "what is this?"

haechan opened it rather slowly, savoring the curious expression of yumi's face. he pulled out two silver rings, one with a blue diamond and the other with a pink diamond. both rings had been carved in the shape of rose vines, the intricacy of the metalwork showing in the afternoon light. 

"promise rings. will you accept my promise to always cherish and love you? i wanted to give you this before i can ask for your hand in marriage," he sincerely told her.

yumi felt the tears come to her eyes, "h-haechan, these are beautiful. i would love nothing more to always be by your side and to love you."

haechan wiped the happy tears away and put the pink ring on yumi's ring finger; it fit perfectly, "i promise to protect and love you."

yumi took the other ring out and wore it for haechan, "and i promise to always be there for you and love you."

the promises were sealed with soft kisses under the golden sunset.

the signal of a new beginning.