28

"is he okay?" yumi's gaze followed haechan out of the room, concerned. she didn't know it, but the moment he came in with that heartbroken expression of his, her heart ached. 

jeno rolled his eyes, still angry, "he's fine, he's just being emotional."

"it doesn't seem like he's okay. he's seemed sad every time i've seen him actually, jeno i'm worried about haechan," she said, looking at the boy with innocent eyes.

jeno brushed it off, "let's get back to what we were doing," he said and leaned close to her, only to have her push him off.

"i'm not in the mood right now," she said, avoiding his gaze.

jeno pressed his lips together in a thin line, "what's the problem?"

she didn't know how to say it to his face. there was nothing special about his touch or his kisses. they didn't spark that certain feeling inside and although her memories showed her that she was in a relationship with jeno, she couldn't help but feel something was very off.

"i'm going to go see if haechan is okay, he shouldn't go out at this hour," she said and got up to leave.

"yumi, don't go," jeno asked, one hand pulled her back.

yumi shook him off gently.

~

yumi found haechan sitting on one of the slides at the mini park next to the house. she sighed in relief that he hadn't gone too far, and walked up to him. 

she couldn't see his face since he was looking at the ground and avoiding her gaze, "haechan, what's wrong?"

haechan sniffed and looked at her dejectedly.

yumi hated it. she hated to see him like this, with the tears flowing from his eyes and a desperate yearning for love in his eyes. without hesitation, yumi sat down next to him and embraced him.

although haechan knew that she still didn't remember anything, her hugs were just the same as two years ago. warm and full of love. he permitted himself to hug her back, his hand pressing on her back just like he always used to do.

when she finally pulled away, it felt cold again.

"i don't know what happened, but you can tell me. perhaps it'll help me remember something about me and you as well," she said earnestly, her hand holding his. 

haechan studied her. he wiped away. his tears and watched as she pretended to watch the stars to give him some time. her cheeks were pink from the cold and she hadn't brought a jacket. yet, she was worried about him and came to check on him. he thought that perhaps even though her memories were gone, her feelings weren't.

"yumi look at me," he said and she turned. it took her a bit by surprise, his gaze was intense and full of intent. 

"do you really not remember me? how you felt about me?" he asked.

she studied his eyes and sadly shook her head slowly, "n-no."

haechan pulled her closer, his hands on her waist and he leaned in with his eyes closed, slowly placing his lips on hers, "how about now," he whispered before sealing the kiss.

yumi let it happen. 

she let him kiss her even though she knew that jeno would be mad. it was just something about the desperation in his eyes that made her do it. when haechan pulled away, she kissed him back softly, leaving traces of shiny strawberry lip gloss and the aftertaste mint flavored gum.

suddenly, yumi pulled away and placed both hands on either side of her head, crying out in pain. perhaps it was the kiss, but yumi's memories of haechan were coming back. they were like images covered in fog, just out of reach for her to fully see. 

glimpses of conversations, hugs, and even intimate moments between her and haechan were played in her head and when she opened her eyes, she couldn't differentiate between the truth anymore. 

she blinked and stood up, "i-i have to go, you need to come home soon. it's dangerous."

she ran away, leaving haechan awkwardly sitting on the slide. she ran as fast as she could back to the house and through the front door, not bothering to be quiet about it. she no longer cared that most of the occupants were resting.

she slammed jeno's door open and walked in, completely out of breathe. 

"lee jeno. answer me this question truthfully," she said. 

jeno sat up with bleary eyes and turned on the bedside table lamp. he blinked at her, "baby, what? it's late."

yumi didn't care if it was late or not, the things she saw in her head had her confused and spinning for answers, "you said that me and you were together, but just now, in the park, i remembered some things about haechan. i couldn't put it all together because it was just glimpses, but it was enough for me to know that we weren't just friends."

by now, jeno was fully awake, his heart pounding, "how much do you remember about him?" he asked carefully.

yumi eyed him, "not enough."

"yumi... you weren't just friends. haechan and you dated," jeno admitted.

"then why did you say-"

jeno cut her off, "but you were with me after that. you broke up with him after he hurt you and you were with me. i didn't mention it because i didn't think it was that important," he was lying through his teeth now.

yumi tilted her head, "then why is he crying like that? why did his kiss make me feel like there were butterflies in my stomach? why does he feel different?"

"why are you telling these things to me? i don't know yumi, i'll i know is that you belong to me," jeno's voice hardened.

yumi sighed, "i'll believe you for now, but if you're lying to me, i'll never forgive you."

jeno....bestie...