004

Lenox Hill

Robin

"Since when do you run late Robin?", one of the morning nurses asked me, a stack of three white bed sheets resting in her arms.

"Good question, um no answer, I just had some personal natters to take care of, took a little longer than expected".

There is no subtle way of telling someone that you were having a conversation with Harry Styles and that is the cause of your tardiness.

When I arrived at work the pit in my stomach grew, however it was a relief to find out no paparazzi had been waiting upon my arrival. The last picture people had of me was in my work scrubs, I'm crossing my fingers no one kept up with celebrity news in the past 24 hours.

Setting down my belongings I carried with me on the desk in my office. I began lifting the bottom of my scrub forgetting about my sweater.

"Right", I said to myself. Harry is now going to be featured on live television wearing my clothes. Wonderful. Seems as if I'm only making the situation worse, to be fair, it wasn't all grand to begin with.

Bright side is at least my name isn't embroidered on it.

***

The time slowly passed as I filled out reports on all the patients who recently checked into the ER. Recurrent writing of blood types, medications, and treatments. I almost hit snooze up until my name was said over the hospital intercom three times.

"Dr.Robin to east wing stat".

Running towards the anonymous patients room I noticed how flat the padding in my shoes had become. This had to be the most insignificant part of my day, but maybe it was time to spend money, wasn't exactly the most ideal action of mine. I hardly found time to shop, online and in person. Plus living in New York wasn't cheap.

The patient that rolled in suffered a heart attack, fortunately he survived it. My focus primarily targeted trauma patients, however with the help of a dietician and cardiologist the cause of the heart attack was ruled out to be clogged arteries.

Those New York hot dogs didn't do anyone well. I'm surprised they're not the leading cause of death in the United States.

Helping to clean up around the room the mans wife spoke up. "Excuse me doctor?".

I turned, looking at the woman. Her ginger curly hair cut to her shoulders and her delicate hand holding the hand of her husband, Will. He was sleeping, his blonde eyelashes flat against his tough skin.

"Yes ma'am?".

"Would you mind turning on the TV? I think I've misplaced the remote somewhere and I can't reach the power button".

"Of course, it's no problem".

She gave me a little smile, her thumb caressing her husbands hand. The action warmed my heart, it was nice to see people so in love with just the small gestures.

Usually one of the nurses or CNA's would be overlooking the room, but I decided to help them on their breaks today.

Extending my arm I pressed the button, a low volumed ringing coming from the small television. Completing the favor, I organized the room some more, having small talk with Sheri, I learned her name.

Will and Sheri have been together for 30 years, they met at a diner in San Francisco, she described it as love at first sight. They got married a couple months after. I became so invested in their story. They're wealthy I thought to myself, the rock sitting on Sheri's ring finger made sure to make itself aware.