001

9:30pm

Robin

"Clocking out already?", one of the ER receptionist spoke up as I walked past the mahogany wooded counter. I turned around holding my lunch pale packed with food I never got the chance of even touching.

A waste.

"More like finally, I've been here since 6 in the morning, have a good night Janet", I spoke through my yawn, exhausted and ready for my night to come to an end. It was as if all the energy had been sucked out of me and all I felt was lethargy.

"Be safe out there, we'll try not calling you in", doubt it. I smiled, nodding my head. Finally leaving as the automatic doors slid open to what is basically my home, Lenox Hill Hospital. Well-known location from what I've experienced first hand.

Although the days are warm from sunlight peaking out through white clouds, the transition from fall to winter made the nights colder than previous months. The cool wind blew through my textured hair as I shuffled through my scrub pockets looking for the keys to my way of transportation. Unlocking the vehicle, I inserted the key letting the engine warm up before driving off, laying my head back as I sighed.

Finally a moment away from presence of staff along with the smell of latex gloves and hand sanitizer.

The streets were empty besides a couple cars, a vast majority of New Yorkers clocked out around 6, being able to miss rush hour is a pleasure. Taking the distinct turn on the numbered street I reached my apartment building, parking along the sidewalk. Meeting the cold wind again turning the tip of my nose and cheeks a rosy color. I ran towards the front entrance, greeting the receptionist once in.

"Hold it please", I spoke as the elevator doors were beginning to slide inwards towards each other, a hand popped out from the inside of the machine with pink nails.

"Well, well, if it isn't Dr. Robin", rolling my eyes, I met the only living being who finds time around my schedule, Violet Ladow. Struggling to find a place that felt like home to live in when I first moved to New York, Violet aided me and found an apartment that I can now call my humble abode which just happened to be a couple floors above her own lovely sanctuary.

"Yes the one and only. Hey Vi", I hugged her, smelling the signature Marc Jacobs scent she always wore. Violet was dressed in the everyday green dentist scrubs, I gave her a confused facial expression. She should've been off quite a while ago.

"How long did you work for?", I asked removing my arms from the sleeves of my jacket. The building happened to be warmer than usual, some elder might have complained.

"Oh, I've been running errands since I got out of work earlier today, had to do some fillings and fixed not one, but two major cavities, but other than that nothing super exciting. I'll call you later about the movie you recommended though, this is my stop", we said our goodbyes as the doors shut and the elevator went up a couple floors eventually reaching what I refer to as a miniature condo. It was definitely bigger than the average sized apartment, and had a staircase of 10 steps, always a luxury. There was a small balcony area and that, for the most part, sealed off the deal to the realtor.

Rubbing my burning eyes, I hung up my keys on the wall and put my lunch pale into the fridge. I reached for a small case of fruit, picking out the strawberries,  and walked up the stairs. A sense of relief traveled throughout my body as I saw my bed. Placing my phone on the cherry bedside table I plopped onto the mattress shutting my eyes. The mattress felt better than it did this morning.