16. Brent

Song is perfect for Brent's situation

“Are you sure this is what you want to do Brent?” Skylar asked me for the tenth time since he has been here, at one of the guest houses I had moved into two weeks ago.

“Yes, I need to do this for myself, for Altan, for everyone who I have hurt but mostly, I need to do it for myself. Being here is making it worse for me Skylar. Everywhere I look I’m reminded of my past and I can’t go to work without thinking of being kidnapped and what happened when I was with them. No one except Altan really trusts me and I can’t look at Kody and his mates without thinking of what I did and feeling like the lowest piece of shit on Earth. I need to get away and just try to move on from it all. I haven’t had time to find out who I am as a person without the hunting part of me or the supernatural world. I just want to focus on Ryker and me. I don't want to take him away from his father, you must believe that. I know you have ways where he can show up and see Ryker anytime he wants but it isn’t the same so I’m going back and forth on my thoughts about it. I just feel taking him with me is what I need to help me in finding out who I am. Maybe I am one hell of a father who would do any and everything for his son or I realize I can’t do it and let Altan take him back here and I stay where I end up. I know he said he will let me take Ryker and that he will let me go and yea him not asking me to stay kind of hurt but I know he is putting his feelings aside for me and how perfect is he for doing that? He is a good man, he doesn’t need someone like me as his mate when all I have done is hurt him more than I made him happy. We spent so much time apart, jumped quickly into mating, got pregnant, and moved in together. Where is the breathing room, the getting to know one another beyond one date and a weekend getaway? I’m sure Chase has told everyone more about ‘me’ than I had. All I’m saying is I need to do this. I need to break my bond with Altan in the safest way possible and leave after Ryker is born. Can you help me or not?” I asked and I felt like if I had to explain one more time to someone my reasons for doing this, I was going to flip out. 

“Yes, I can help you so neither of you are hurting after the bond is broken. All I will need is some blood from you both and fire with a sacred prayer to sever the bond. It’s painless and safe.” He said and I couldn’t help but feel relieved. 

“Once Ryker is born and I’m given the word I can leave the hospital, we’ll do it that weekend, give Altan a few days to bond with Ryker.” 

“Ok. When are you due? I remember my mate’s being pregnant, it was the best experience we had been through. I loved everything they demanded, wanted, needed, and the yelling and the tears.” Skylar had a faraway look on his face and I smiled. It seems he really loved that time in his life.

“In two weeks but lately I have been feeling my belly tighten up and relax a few times a day. It’s not painful, just uncomfortable. As far as the other things go, I pretty much do it on my own with them all working so much I was alone a lot and since moving here, it’s just me. I know I wanted to do this but I at least thought Altan would come check on me when he would be home. I see him with Gary and Joseph outside walking by but they never stop in. I can’t blame them but it hurts at the same time.” 

“So he has been neglecting you?” Skylar asked, looking pissed off.

“No, I did this to us, I was kidnapped for most of my pregnancy and when I got back, I haven’t been myself and I decided to break our bond and leave, not him. I just would like if he showed he did care at least about Ryker but I haven’t seen them in this house since I moved in. I get texts daily but no visits. Maybe he’s just wanting to avoid getting even more hurt, I don’t know.” 

"I don't care Brent. You are still mates and you are carrying his baby, he should be here to take care of you, it's the right thing to do." Skylar was really more upset about Altan than pissed off it seems.