18. Brent

"Will it hurt him in any way Skylar, honestly?" I asked, nervous and worried about this ritual or whatever Skylar is going to do for us. 

"No Brent, I promise you nor him will feel any pain. The only thing you should feel is like something snapping inside your mind and heart, it won’t be painful, just weird for a few moments before you feel normal again.” He said and I looked at Altan and smiled at him holding Ryker, he looked so small in Altan’s arms. 

“As long as Altan isn’t in any pain, I don’t care about me.” I said and Altan looked at me like I was insane but it’s true. He’s losing a mate because of me and I’d rather feel the pain instead of him. 

“I don’t want you in pain Brent. Don’t talk or think like that alright? You don’t deserve to be in pain, I understand why you want to do this so please, stop.” Altan begged and I just sighed softly and looked at Gary and Joseph, wondering what they thought of all this because they haven’t said much about it. Austin is even here also. They really don’t like him that well but Altan doesn’t seem to mind him being here at least. 

“Do you know where you are going to go?” Skylar asked me and I had thought about this for a while now, even before I met Altan. 

“Louisiana. I have always wanted to go there and start a cafe of my own. I have drawings of how I see it and New Orleans seemed like the best place to do that. It’s got a lot of culture and so much life there.” I said and he smiled.

“It’s a beautiful city. I have been there a few times so you will enjoy it there.” Skylar has been talking to me a lot more lately, a lot of one on one conversations. 

Most are about my past and the things I have done and my family. I didn’t really want to relive it all but it did help to talk about the things I never even told Altan which is for his own good because I don’t want him to know more bad things about me than he already does. 

Now Liam, that man surprised me a lot over the past few months. He would come visit me and asked if I wanted to talk and if I said no, he would just hang out and we would watch TV or cook, read, play games, or just take walks and as time went on, I felt I could trust him so I told him about when I was with the hunters and he told me of his past. It’s sad to say that our troubled pasts are something that we bonded over but it’s true. He is a very understanding and patient man. His son Caleb is just like him, both would come at times to see me and it was nice. I hope they visit when I leave. I would miss their friendship. 

Kody won’t even look at me or in my direction when I’m outside or in the packhouse. He even has his kids stay away from me and his mate’s besides Chase don’t talk to me which I understand but after all this time, you would think they would at least look at me but it is what it is. There is nothing I can do to change their opinions about me and I’m not going to break my back in trying anymore. The pack members are still sort of standoffish towards me also. I don’t know what to do anymore to prove I’m not who I used to be and honestly, I really don’t want to. I know I’m not the old me and so does Altan and that is all that matters to me. 

“Ok, let’s go outside to the forest, it’s almost time.” Skylar said to Altan and I. We kissed Ryker and Gary took him as we three went outside.

“Just remember Brent, I love you and I will always love you.” Altan said as he grabbed my hand and I fought to keep my tears from falling which was hard as hell to do.

“I’ll always love you too Altan. I can’t thank you enough for doing this, even though it’s hurting you, you are letting me go and there is no greater act of selflessness than that. You are an incredible person and you have a pure heart. I am so sorry for everything I have ever done to hurt you and your family and I hope one day they can forgive me, for themselves at least. Thank you for looking past my actions and seeing the real me. You have no idea how much that means to me. You have no idea how much you mean to me.” I said and rubbed the back of his hand with my thumb softly and he smiled at me and kissed my forehead and sighed, breathing in my scent.