4. Joseph

The day I was diagnosed with Juvenile Huntington's Disease at thirteen was the worst day of my family's lives. Being an only child and then you find out you're in the late stages of the disease was devastating to me. Probably more so to me than my parents themselves.

At least that's what I used to think but come to find out it was just my depression and mental state being altered. Before I got sick we were just your ordinary happy family, we had family time after my parents got home from work, I tried my best to be a straight A student but math and English were never my strong suit.

When I found out about the severity of my disease I was barely just starting to live life. My family life was like a perfect picture that most would probably consider fake but it was all real.

The day I met Gary, it was the happiest day of my life. It truly was, but also the worst. The day he told me I was his mate I couldn't allow him to be burdened with the memories of seeing me on my death bed so I did what I thought was best and rejected him. I loved him of course but I rather reject him and he move on then mourn me then have to find his second chance mate. Which in hindsight happened anyway.

People always told me that supernaturals can make new bonds or find another chance mate so I had hoped the man I longed to be with would find happiness and he did in the guy anyone would kill to be with, me included. Altan Colleen Blackstone.

God he could make your knees weak with one look. Not like Gary of course, I'm a sucker for his personality than I am for anything else so when Gary tried to get me to notice him, I already have. Those two together were the perfect match which is why I told Gary to go for it.

The day I personally met Altan was honestly scary, to say the least. I remember him and his tiger Amar coming into my dreams the night before like an angel coming to warn you. That night he tried all his might to heal me but it wasn't enough.

The day I died I remember looking at my own funeral, all the people mourning for me, wishing I'd come back. Whoever prayed the loudest for me to come back, it worked.

The day I came to, I remember being on a stone slab surrounded by five angelic beings. They told me how after my funeral, Altan had called them in hopes their combined powers would save and cure me. At first, I thought it was insanity, that my mind was still playing tricks on me, then I remembered back to when Altan and Amar visited me, they told me I would join them by any means but I never knew what they meant until that moment.

Now here I stand at thirty years old, in a new city living a brand new life under a new name. Well, not exactly new. I just switched my first and middle name so now I'm just Kingsley Joseph Eckhart.

When I returned from the realm where I spent several years, maybe thirteen or so given I died at seventeen. I already had a house, car but ironically no job.

I guess that was their way of saying 'they can't do everything for me'. Which I honestly laughed at cause my mom always said that exact same thing. However, I did have a degree in architecture and design. So I guess that was my start. Good thing I loved art and working with my hands before my mental state was affected and thankfully my memories were restored to their rightful state before I got sick like nothing happened.

"Are you going to go look for your family and mate?" My best friend Kate asked.

"This weekend, you know I have that presentation for the boss." I said in a duh tone.

"What crawled up your ass and died?" She snickered.

"I'm stressed with this presentation and I'm nervous as hell to see everyone. For the last thirteen or so years they thought I've been dead which is technically true but I'm worried my parents won't accept it's really me and then there's Altan and Gary, they probably have several kids by now and I'm no homewrecker so I'm slowly losing my shit." I said and took a deep breath.