19. Altan

Altan POV (8 Years Later)

I love that I have figured out how to trust others with my heart, regardless of whether it will get broken. Ever since Brent and I broke our bond, it definitely hasn’t been a walk in the park. For anyone including the kids. Having been put in situations they had no business in, spending time apart from each other. It’s been a lot, with two four-year-olds and an eight-year-old. They don’t know what the hell is going on between us adults. Though I can tell it’s not making things easier. There’s no sort of stability for them to just process everything.

You would think that after eight years. Three kids, two mates, and a best friend's support. Things would be a lot smoother than what they have been. I feel like I am being torn in five different ways daily. Hell, if I feel that way after so long. I could only imagine what they’re all going through in their own minds. 

The twins have been going through the wringer with all these different changes. One minute Ryker is here, next minute he’s gone. They see me interact with Brent and his wife then watch as Gary and Joseph give him looks of betrayal. It’s too much. After eight years they should be over the drama and hurt of losing him. I’m his mate, not them. It took a year and a half if not longer for me to get over the idea that I may never be with him again. He’s happy and made his choice. Their constant disapproval will only drive a rift between the boys. That’s the last thing I want for them. I try so damn hard to keep the peace, but they don’t even treat Ryker as a part of the family and it pisses me the hell off. 

They were so concerned that Brent was taking Ryker away from me but when he started to look like Brent, it’s like their hatred shifted to him. I have more than once threatened to break my bonds with them. If they ever drove my son away from me, It’s over. I’m too old for these petty childish games. I want my kids to get along for fucking sakes. 

“Papa, Ryker pushed Matthew down a hill.” Martin ran in, pointing outside. Here we go again. 

“Martin, are you fibbing on your brother again?” I said between clenched teeth and my eyes flashed their brighter blue. 

“N-no papa.” He said and I sighed before I followed him outside where all the pack kids were playing. 

As we got to the hill, there was a crying Matthew holding his wrist. 

“Does it hurt?” I asked. There were no tears in his eyes as far as I can see nor were they puffy from crying. 

“Ryker hit me papa.” He sniffled and I held in my anger. 

“Are you sure he hit you?” Mind you, Martin said Ryker pushed him down the hill and there are no visible injuries given roots and rocks littering the hill. 

“Yes, he did.” He pouted and I gently examined his wrist. 

“Would you like to go see the pack doctor then?” I asked him. 

“No! I’m ok papa.” He smiled and I bit my tongue. 

When I let go of his wrist, I scanned over the sea of kids around us. Ryker wasn’t even in sight, so why the hell are they lying so much on him?

“Where is your brother, boys?” I asked them. 

“He ran away papa.” They pointed in the direction I knew all too well. 

“I will go talk to him, you boys go get ready for dinner.” I smiled and watched them bolt off to the house. 

When they were out of sight, I ran in the direction of a place only the family knew about. It’s too embarrassing, even to this day I can’t talk to people about it.