Chapter 7

"You know, I have to hand it to you. I really didn't expect you to come up with something so—"

"So what?" Piper asked with a smirk. She and Julia were sprawled out on a blanket under the shade of a tall tree, watching the wind sway the orange-tinted leaves during a warm autumn afternoon.

"So...chill?" Julia finished her thought.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Piper wondered.

"Well, you're a little over the top sometimes while making plans, or sometimes just underwhelming. It's like there's no middle ground. I was nervous when you said you would make the plans for us this weekend, but a picnic in the park was a perfect idea," Julia explained. She was lying on her stomach, eating strawberries from a plastic container that Piper had picked up from the store earlier that morning. The juice of the berries were staining her lips red the more she ate them.

"Hey!" Piper exclaimed.

"I'm just saying, we've been roommates for three years almost, and I usually make the plans for a reason," Julia explained.

Piper sat quietly, not wanting to admit that the picnic had been Lucy's idea. She had texted the girl in a frenzy asking her what sort of date she would like to go on.

I hope you're not asking me out, Lucy had replied.

Stop being cocky. I'm asking for Julia, Piper had angrily texted back.

I don't know. A picnic?

Huh.

What?

You didn't strike me as a picnic girl, that's all, Piper had responded.

And that's supposed to mean?

Nothing. Just do your trial work this weekend.

Whatever.

Piper wasn't sure how Julia would respond to the idea, but she had been satisfied with it. Julia admitted that she needed nothing more than a relaxing break for a few hours during a Sunday afternoon. That was how they had ended up here, at the community park next to campus, lounging around after having eaten their lunches. While Piper was glad that Julia was enjoying herself, she couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed.

They were still talking like normal. They were still acting like normal. This gesture had really meant nothing in Julia's eyes besides just one of their normal hang-outs. It was what Piper had expected, but just this once, she thought something might change.

Julia looked beautiful under the glow of the autumn sun. Though her hair was pulled back into a messy bun to accommodate for shoving strawberries into her mouth all afternoon, she had put on a nice black-striped sundress. Piper herself was content lounging in shorts and a t-shirt as they sat under the shade of the tree. Around them, kids were squealing with delight as they passed soccer balls and threw frisbees to each other. In the distance, a dog was barking, begging its owner to throw the tennis ball it was chasing once more.

"It's a little loud is the only thing," Piper murmured.

"It's a warmer weekend than normal, and we're at the park. What can you expect?" Julia said. Having finished snacking on strawberries, she laid down completely and stared up at the sky. Piper took a glance up, watching the way the fluffy white clouds strolled across the sky. Awkwardly, she laid down beside Julia and rested her hands on her abdomen.

"Pretty clouds," Piper murmured.

"Yeah," Julia replied. "Man, I'm so tired. I could fall asleep."