Chapter 15

Piper grumbled to herself as she glanced around for her notebook. She had already checked under the bed, gone through all the drawers in her desk, and had even taken everything out of her backpack in a desperate search for her notes. Her heart was racing, wondering if she had left the notebook somewhere, like the café that she and Lucy had gone to a few days ago, but that hadn't been right because she had shown the notes to Professor Murphy yesterday. She couldn't have possibly left it at his office, could she?

"Piper, calm down. It'll show up," Julia promised her. She was standing in front of the mirror, scrunching her hair to give it volume. As to why, Piper wasn't sure, but all she did know was that she was slated to meet with Lucy in a half hour and she had no idea where her notes were.

Retrace your steps, retrace your steps. When did you last have it? she asked herself. The last time she had written in the notebook was during her meeting with Murphy, but it had been over twenty-four hours since then, and she knew she had looked it over at least once since then in preparation for her meeting with Lucy that was occurring today.

"I didn't think you'd let that thing get so out of your sight. Honestly, I feel like you sleep with that notebook," Julia said.

Piper suddenly scrounged for her bed and pulled up the covers. There, tucked away in the corner, was her notebook.

"You really do sleep with it!" Julia exclaimed.

"I do not!" Piper argued. She retrieved the notebook and let out a sigh as her muscles began to relax and heart rate began to slow. She had been up late last night doing homework and had decided to review her notes before going to bed. She must have dozed off with the notebook still in her bed, and for that reason, it had gotten buried under the covers.

"Well, now you'll be all set for your meeting. See? It turned out fine," Julia said.

"Afterwards, do you want to go to the dining commons together? It's icecream sundae night, and we haven't pigged out in a while," Piper suggested. She was trying to be more natural around Julia, especially with the way Lucy had teased her recently. She still wasn't going to stop trying to impress Julia, but she hoped she could be a little more natural about it.

"Oh. I didn't tell you? I have a date tonight," Julia said.

"Oh," Piper said. "When...when did that happen?"

"Oh, this girl and I have been chatting on this dating app for a week or so, and we thought we'd finally give it a go tonight and get dinner. I think you were out with Lucy when we made the plans. Meant to tell you," Julia said. She had reached for her make-up bag now and was beginning to apply foundation to her face.

"Do you like this girl?" Piper asked.

"I don't know yet. We chat well online, but this is my first time meeting her in person. I mean, that's the whole point on going on dates, right? To get to know the other person better. And if it doesn't work out, oh well. She goes to the community college down the street, so we'll see if St. Ignatius girls hold up," Julia teased. "But we definitely should go the next time they do sundae night."

"Right. Next time," Piper said. It was hard to hide her disappointment.

"Sorry. I really did mean to tell you, but you're usually busy in the afternoons with the trial and all that—"

"No. I get it. I've been really busy lately. Have a good time tonight," Piper said as she gathered up her things. "I'll see you later. Text me if you need anything."

"I will. Good luck on the trial work," Julia said.

As soon as Piper exited the dorm room, she could already feel tears stinging her eyes. She wondered why she kept doing this to herself, why she kept letting Julia go out and meet new people while she kept quiet about her feelings. She knew it wasn't fair to be upset with Julia. Piper had been busy with the trial lately, and just because she didn't have the courage to confess her feelings didn't mean that Julia wasn't allowed to go out on dates.