Chapter 22

January, 9 Months Earlier

Noel usually dreaded the start of the spring semester. She would lay with her covers curled around her in agony as her alarm rang out to remind her that her few weeks of bliss had come to an end and that excessive schoolwork and violin practice were on the horizon.

This year, however, Noel was already dressed and watching the sunrise when her alarm went off. She reached for her phone on her nightstand and quickly silenced it before pulling her curtain back to gaze outside again. The sun was just beginning to rise, creating a comforting glow as the snow outside began to shimmer. She grinned a bit to herself and let the curtain fall close again.

Noel gazed at her mirror, scrunching her dark hair slightly, even though she knew it was wavy at best and straight at most. She slung her backpack onto her shoulders, took a deep stretch, and headed downstairs.

Surprisingly, Noel was in a better mood than normal at breakfast. As she ate her semi-annual "first day of the semester" omelet, she found herself unusually not annoyed with her mother. Her mother, strangely, seemed to be in good spirits as well as she asked Noel what classes she was taking and what she was excited for in the new year. Just for a few moments, life seemed simpler and kinder than it had been in a long time.

"I've got to head down to the bus," Noel said.

"Come here and give me a hug before you go," her mother said.

Noel pushed her chair in and walked into her mother's arms. Her mother hugged her tight for a few moments, planted a kiss on her forehead, and said, "Have a good day."

Noel looked up at her and smiled, just briefly, before grabbing her bag and waving good-bye. From there, she was unstoppable, even with ice on the road. She didn't realize how fast she was walking until she got to the bus stop, worried she had missed the bus only to find out she was ten minutes earlier than normal.

Why am I so excited? she wondered. It's just another semester. If anything, classes will get harder from here.

While riding the bus to her university, however, Noel couldn't suppress her smile. She knew that the semester was starting differently than last. This time, she had a friend to keep her company. Already she was beginning to wonder if Riley would want to get a meal with her after practice, or if they wanted to go to the shed together later in the evening. The possibilities seemed endless.

Noel took a deep breath as she stepped back onto campus. She watched her breath leave in a puff. She smiled slightly, then paused as she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. She pulled it out, finding a text from Riley:

Hey, I'm here a little earlier than normal. Want to hang out before class?

Noel excitedly texted back agreeing and found Riley near the café on campus. She was sitting outside on a bench, hunched over in her large winter coat and shifting her hands back in forth to try to bring some warmth into them. When Riley finally met her gaze, Noel swore Riley's eyes lit up as she rose to meet her.

"Hey—"

Without thinking, Noel launched herself into a hug with Riley, cutting her off before she could say anymore. She was lucky that Riley's arms embraced her back.

"That happy to see me?" Riley asked.

"I mean, I haven't seen you in a few weeks!" Noel exclaimed, suddenly embarrassed for acting so boldly. "I'm just really excited for this new semester, I think."

"How come? You like school that much?" Riley wondered.

"No. I don't know, really," Noel thought.