Chapter 10

November, 11 Months Earlier

Noel didn't know why her heart was racing, and she didn't know why she kept pulling at the corners of her bed, making sure they looked nice when the maid had already come in the morning to tidy up her room. There was nothing to be cleaned, and certainly nothing out of place. Noel's mother had made sure of that. She had not taken the news lightly when Noel shared that Riley would be visiting over the weekend.

"It'll cut into your practice time," her mother had said. "Plus, you spend all week at school. The weekend is the only time we get to spend together."

Somehow, Noel had barely managed to convince her mother to allot some time on Saturday to allow Riley to visit for a little bit. Now, she was pacing around her room and peeking out the window every once in a while to see when Riley would arrive. She couldn't remember the last time a friend had visited her home. Oftentimes, she remembered her friends looking at her differently after the visit. Perhaps it was the largeness of her home or her mother's sour attitude. It wasn't that often that a friend would visit more than once. Noel hoped today would be different.

The sound of the doorbell ringing jolted Noel. She couldn't believe she hadn't noticed Riley pull up in the past few minutes after checking the window. She rushed out of her room and out to the staircase, just as the maid was opening the door.

"Can I help you, miss?" the maid asked.

"Um, er, I'm here to see Noel..." Though not visible, Noel could hear Riley's nervous voice from the steps of the home. She raced down the stairs, worried that the maid would send Riley away if she didn't clear up the situation.

"It's okay, Marisol. She's a friend," Noel assured her. As Marisol slowly backed off, Noel opened the door wider for Riley to enter. Her hair was in braids that fell down her back, and she wore a simple t-shirt with jeans, as well as worn-out sneakers that contrasted against the whiteness of the marble flooring.

"Well, come in!" Noel exclaimed.

Riley cautiously stepped inside, clutching her purse close to her body. Her eyes were moving back and forth, taking in every inch of the mansion's foyer. She seemed too in shock to say much of anything. As she stood, her sneakers squeaking against the marble floor, Noel quietly shut the door behind her, hoping at least they would have some time before her mother made an appearance.

Unfortunately for Noel, she could already hear the clack of her mother's heels against the floor.

"Noel, have you seen my—" Her voice cut off as she noticed Riley standing near the doorway.

"Mom! This is Riley," Noel said, gesturing to her friend. "We both play in the school's orchestra. She plays violin as well."

"Ah, I see. You're the one who Noel's been mentioning. Any trouble getting in at all?" her mother asked.

Riley shook her head. "No, not at all."

"Huh. That's interesting. I'll have to have a talk with security," her mother said.

"Mom," Noel warned.

"Well, enjoy the house, I suppose," her mother said. "The cook can prepare you some snacks if you need them." With that, she disappeared into the back of mansion, leaving the two still standing in the foyer. Riley had barely moved an inch.

"I don't know, Noel. Maybe I should go home," Riley suggested. Noel had never seen her look so uncomfortable before. Her back was slouched and her hands interlaced in front of her.

"Don't be ridiculous. We can just head up into my room. No one will bother us there," Noel said. When Riley still didn't move, Noel grabbed onto her wrist. "Come on."