Chapter 42

The Day Of

Noel didn't often wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but as soon as she awoke on an unusually cold morning on October the 8th, she was already irritated and reluctant to get out of bed. The stress of the recital that would take place the following evening and her mother's excessive practice schedule had left her in a bad mood all week. Riley had kept assuring her that all would be well once the concert was over. Noel hoped so, but she had a feeling today would be hard to get through.

In 48 hours, I'll at least have a break again, she thought.

As she scrolled through her phone, Noel paused to see a message from a girl she had gone to high school with. That was unusual. She paused and opened it, finding that she had been placed in a group with her old homeroom.

Homeroom reunion happening soon!! Who's in? was the initial text.

A resounding chorus of "yes" came from all the members. Noel had not thought of high school in a long time. It was hard for her to think back and remember what exactly she had been doing in that time of her life. She was needing of a break though, and she didn't think it was a bad idea to go out to lunch with some of her old classmates. Plus, Lucy was invited. If all else failed and she was too shy to reconnect with her old classmates, at least Lucy would potentially be there for her to talk to. Noel responded with a yes, placed her phone away, and prepared herself for the day.

Riley found her later in the morning in between classes.

"How are you feeling today?" Riley asked.

"Nervous. My mom has been especially irritable lately," Noel explained. "Thanks for checking in though. I know we haven't been able to hang out as much lately. But once this concert is over, I'll be glad to spend time with you again."

Riley smiled back at her. "I know you'll do great. Why don't we go to the place today?"

"You know I can't. My mom—"

"Later in the evening, after dinner, maybe? If you can manage, that is. Let's say around 9:30? Maybe getting away from the house for a little bit will calm you down," Riley suggested.

"It's a plan," Noel said. They were lingering by the corner of a building, hidden from view of other students by tall trees and tall walls. Perhaps it had been because she had courageously said yes to some old friends earlier in the day. Perhaps she needed a distraction from thoughts of the concert. Perhaps it was because Noel was tired of living in fear. Noel took ahold of Riley's hands, leaned forward, and kissed her. "I love you," she said.

It came out so naturally, and yet as soon as she said it, both her and Riley's eyes widened in shock.

"Ah! I-I meant to say that to you differently, at a different time. I didn't expect myself to say it just now, I—"

"I love you, too," Riley assured her. "I was starting to worry I'd never have the courage to tell you."

Noel smiled. "I'm glad you did. Um...do you have some time to eat right now? I'm kind of hungry."

"About thirty minutes until class starts. Let's grab some some lunch," Riley agreed, reaching for Noel's hand.

Noel's cheeks were flushed, yet she felt giddy. She had finally gathered the courage to tell Riley she loved her, and Riley had said it back! Her stress had seemed to vanish completely with this in mind. She wasn't as concerned now with the concert, not when she was walking around hand-in-hand with her girlfriend. Her girlfriend who loved her. Her girlfriend whom she loved.

They reluctantly dropped each other's hands as they grabbed their meals. Noel went with a simple grilled cheese, one of the few foods she could manage to get down in the cafeteria. Her appetite was still mild with all the stress of the recital coming up, but she knew she at least needed to get something into her stomach. She had a feeling she would be in for a long practice session tonight.