Chapter 44

Piper was already nervous about the case as soon as the prosecuting side began their opening statement. By all means, the evidence was well-presented. Riley suspiciously was the first person on the scene of Noel's death, at a location that only she and Noel frequently visited, and additionally, she was the only one who knew Noel would be there that evening. The blood staining Riley's clothes certainly didn't help her case either. Piper could feel herself sweating and was surprised Lucy wasn't scolding her for how tightly she was squeezing onto her hand. When Piper glanced up, however, she saw Lucy was just as nervous. Noel's mother cried easily, making it easy for the jury to sympathize with the image of a grieving mother. Piper had to believe, she had to hope, that some of the tears were truthful, and yet, she also felt that the woman was putting on a deceitful performance.

Lucy made a small groan beside her as the prosecuting side finished its opening statement.

"Are you okay? Do you not want to be here?" Piper asked, suddenly feeling guilty for bringing Lucy with her. What a great first date. Bringing a girl to the murder trial of a girl she previously had a crush on...

"I'm okay," Lucy whispered quietly back. "I'll let you know if I need to leave."

Piper nodded, listening as the defending side finally began their opening statement. Piper found that Riley's lawyer, Mr. Downing, spoke smoothly. She had often revered Murphy, but this man seemed much more experienced. He knew exactly what he was doing and did it well despite being given evidence only the evening before, and Downing did an excellent job crafting his statement in a way that posed Riley not as a killer, but as a girl mourning the loss of her partner. Piper just hoped the evidence would be enough to satisfy the jury.

Piper was beginning to worry for Lucy when the prosecutor began his evidence. She was trembling, and the only solace Piper could give was slightly rubbing her thumb over Lucy's hand.

"I can walk you out," Piper offered, but Lucy shook her head once more.

Piper sighed and sat back, thankful that the defendant was finally going to be presenting evidence.

"I would like to call Cecilia Miller up to the witness stand, please," Downing said.

Noel's mother appeared annoyed as she got out of her seat and got situated at the stand and took a truthful oath, as if Piper could believe her. She barely knew the woman, and yet, the encounter in the bathroom the day before had been enough for her to realize how conniving the woman could be, especially when Piper had been up looking through Noel's journal entries with Murphy and Riley's lawyer the night before.

"Do you recognize this, Mrs. Miller?" Downing asked, producing the black journal.

Piper saw the woman's eyes widen. Piper grinned slightly to herself.

"Where did you get that?" she asked.

"I'm asking if you recognize this," he repeated.

"It looks to me like a notebook," was all she said.

Downing opened the notebook and held it out in front of her. "Do you recognize the handwriting inside of this journal?"

A hush fell over the courtroom. Slowly, Mrs. Miller spoke. "It looks like it belongs to my daughter." She paused. "That notebook was stolen from me," she said suddenly said, already beginning to lose her cool. Her eyes scanned the crowd before she noticed Piper near the front. "That girl there! She stole it from me."

Lucy glanced over at Piper in horror, and all the courtroom turned its gaze onto Piper. Piper let go of Lucy's hand and stood slightly.

"I didn't steal anything, ma'am. It was lying on the counter of the women's restroom yesterday. I was simply trying to find its owner."