Chapter 20

December, 10 Months Earlier

Noel's feet shuffled awkwardly against the welcome mat outside of Riley's home. She could hear the sound of the car motor as the chauffeur lingered, waited for her to be let in. She hated this part, the time between ringing the bell and waiting for the door to be answered. Her heart always felt like it was going to burst out of her chest as she inevitably waited for the door to open. She shivered slightly, turning to glance behind her. It was snowing again, though thankfully she was shielded from the winter weather by Riley's porch.

Suddenly, the door swung open, and Noel snapped her head back to the door. Riley stood across from her, looking rather comfy in a warm green sweater of her own. Noel was thankful to see her wearing her natural curls again after what had happened at the competition.

"Sorry it took me a second to get the door. Come in, though!" she exclaimed, holding the door open wider for Noel.

Noel turned to give a slight wave to her driver before moving inside with her duffel bag still hanging from her shoulder. Somehow, just barely, she had convinced her mom to let her spend the night at Riley's as long as she promised to practice for a few hours before she went. Her fingers still ached from practicing, but that didn't matter much to her. She was with Riley now. This would be a welcomed evening away from home.

"You can bring your things up to my room," Riley suggested, moving past the living room where her parents were sitting and chatting.

"Thank you for having me," Noel said to the both of them.

"Of course," Riley's father replied.

"Dinner will be later this evening so you girls can use the kitchen to bake," her mom said.

"Thank you," Noel said. She looked upward to Riley, who was staring down her parents in most likely a silent urge for them to stop talking. She laughed to herself slightly before following Riley upstairs into her room. She set her bag down near the closet and shoved off her thick winter coat at last.

"Mm, it's warm up here," Noel said happily.

"Is it still snowing out there?" Riley asked, moving toward her window and moving the curtains aside. Snowflakes were cascading down in a spiraled pattern with no end in sight. Noel supposed it was a good thing she was spending the night, then. She stretched her arms slightly and took a seat on Riley's bed.

Riley sat down beside her, and for a moment, they sat there in silence.

"Hi," Noel said after making eye contact with her.

"Hi," Riley replied with a smile. She glanced away and wringed out her arms in front of her. "So, I set up stuff to make cookies downstairs. But we can stay up here for a little bit if you wanted, or—"

"I'm good with making cookies. I'm not allowed near the kitchen at home. Mom always says that's the cook's territory. Though sometimes I do like to sneak inside and steal some snacks from the pantry," Noel explained.

"How scandalous," Riley responded with a laugh. "Well, let's go then."

Ten minutes later, and they were downstairs in the kitchen, spilling flour all over the counter as they tried their best to convert ingredients into sugar cookie dough. Once or twice, Riley's mom stuck her head into the kitchen to ask how things were going, to which Riley would annoyingly tell her it was all going fine despite the fact that Cookie, appropriate to her name, was lapping up the cookie dough that they happened to spill onto the floor.

While the cookies baked, Noel helped Riley with the dishes by sticking them into the dishwasher after Riley was done washing them.

"Must be pretty boring work for you, huh? I bet you don't do any chores," Riley teased.