Chapter 43

Piper didn't think it would take long to explain to Murphy the evidence and to ask him to look over the journal, and yet, she found herself in his hotel room with Riley's lawyer, Antonio Downing, late into the evening, going over the contents of the journal page by page. It was mostly Murphy working with Riley's lawyer as they helped to reshape the case, but Piper found it interesting to listen to. Besides, they had insisted she stay with them for a bit in case Noel's mother came after her.

"I'm amazed you managed to snatch this, Piper," Murphy said. "You're such a good student. I wouldn't expect you to be the one to steal," he said teasingly.

"Please don't thank me just yet. I still don't know if Noel's mother has noticed the switch or what her reaction will be. I thought initially she was using this as evidence, but she seemed protective of it. I figured Noel had written important notes into that journal," Piper explained. "And when I saw that last entry, I knew I had to take it."

"This is a valuable piece of evidence," Mr. Downing explained. "I have a feeling the mother may be more deeply involved with this case than we suspected, which may bring us to another lead who we weren't sure how he was connected to the case. You have a fantastic student here, Murphy."

"One of the best," he said. "She worked hard on Lucia Peterson's case for the past month, and look at the results that brought us."

Piper smiled slightly, still feeling guilty for denying to help Murphy the next semester, though she still felt it was the best decision.

"It's going to be a late night, but I think we may stand a chance," Riley's lawyer explained. "Thank you, Piper. You very well may be saving Riley's life tonight."

"Piper, you've done enough. Why don't you head back to your room and get something to eat? You have a lot to celebrate after all. I'll see you tomorrow at the trial," Murphy said.

"Yes, it's important you come," Downing added. 

Piper nodded, thanked the both of them, then took off rushing to the hotel room. Though she had been thrilled to find the evidence in Noel's journal supported the idea that Riley had nothing to do with the case, all she could think about in the quieter moments as Murphy and Downing took notes was how she had left Lucy in the hallway of the courtroom. Now that Piper had been dismissed, she finally wanted to talk to Lucy, to know what it had been that Lucy wanted to say to her so badly. Her heart felt like it was going to beat out of its chest the more she considered it. She knew it was cocky of her to think too positively of what Lucy had to say, and yet, it was the only hope she had at the moment. Her fingers were trembling as she inserted her room key into the door. She opened the door slowly.

"Lucy, I'm back!" she said, perhaps a little too enthusiastically. A single lamp illuminated the room, but the hotel room itself was empty.

Piper frowned and reached for her phone. She cursed to herself, realizing Lucy had texted her a few hours before.

Hey...going out to celebrate with my family. I kept the lamp on for you. I'll be back later tonight.

Piper let out a sigh and texted back:

Have fun! Sorry I was gone so long. I'll explain it later, but I was with Murphy and Riley's lawyer all afternoon and into the evening. Are we still okay to go to the trial tomorrow? I think I have to go now, actually.

Lucy responded with merely a thumbs up a few minutes later to Piper's disappointment. Despite the fact she hadn't eaten all day, Piper didn't find herself very hungry. She took a shower, put on her pajamas, and sat up and read under the lamplight, longingly looking to the door. But Lucy didn't come, and Piper's eyes were beginning to grow tired. Slowly, she slipped into sleep.