Chapter 36

July, 3 Months Earlier

Noel was happy to have returned from vacation after a long ten days. She had mostly spent her time in Cancun doing exactly as she told Riley, swimming back and forth in their room's private pool while her mother drank and gossiped with her friends. Her mother hadn't required her to bring her violin, and yet, Noel had almost craved it in that time, wishing for something to do. Now that she didn't hate the violin anymore, it had become a comfort to her again. She was eager to get back to playing.

The car pulled up to their mansion. Noel stepped out of the car and stretched her arms. It felt good to be back for once. She was excited to sleep in her own room, play the violin, but most of all, see Riley. They had texted back and forth a bit during the trip, but it was never as long as Noel wanted. Thankfully their time zones had been the same, but Noel wished she could hear Riley's voice. As soon as she got up into her room, telling her mother she would unpack, she reached for her phone and called Riley.

"Hey, how was your trip?" Riley asked as she picked up.

Noel smiled and took a seat on her bed. She dangled her legs out in front of her and swayed them back and forth slowly as she held the phone to her ear.

"It was all right. I'm happy to be back," she said. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too. What are you up to?" Riley asked.

"Unpacking," Noel said with complaint in her tone. "Then probably practicing. My mom's still a bit drunk, I think, so I don't know how much she'll expect of me today. I imagine she's gone and taken a nap. I don't think I saw her sober this entire trip."

Riley giggled on the other end.

"When can I see you?" Noel asked.

"Whenever you want," Riley said.

"What about now?" Noel asked.

"Now?!"

"Like I said, I bet my mom will let me get away with things more easily today," Noel explained.

"Aren't you tired after the trip?" Riley asked.

"Yeah, but I don't care. I want to see you," Noel repeated.

"Well, my parents went out of town on their anniversary tonight and left me in charge of the house, so I don't know if they want me driving around and doing things. I'm supposed to clean the floors while I'm at it. I've only finished the first floor right now," Riley explained.

"I can come over and keep you company," Noel suggested.

"Uh..."

"No?" Noel asked.

"No, I mean I'm not opposed, but I...I think I'd have to ask my parents. It's already getting into the evening though. Would you just spend the night?" Riley asked.

"If you wanted me to."

"L-Let me text them," Riley said. "Are you sure your mom would be okay?"

"If she isn't, I'll take the blame later. I'm so excited to see you!" Noel exclaimed. "I can arrange something with my driver, so you don't have to worry about picking me up. Sound good?"

"Yeah," Riley said. There was a small pause. "Oh. My parents responded. They said it's okay, just as long as we don't trash the place. You'd have to be out of here by tomorrow afternoon though. That's when they're driving back."

"That's fine. Let me work something out right now. I'll be over there in an hour at most. See you soon," Noel said.

"See you," Riley muttered shyly from the other end.