Chapter Four - Adrienne

The pouch of gold coins falls heavily into my palm, the coins clinking noisily against one another. I weigh it dubiously, looking up at the man who stands across from me. We're standing around the negotiations table in the side room of the House of Rubies, where we typically take clients who have someone they want dead. "Twenty five gold coins, as promised. And two as a bonus for killing him on the same day that I hired you." He drawls with a wink, dragging his eyes up and down my figure as he sizes me up. I nod, assuming a bored expression as I usually do with customers of this man's ilk. Feigning bravery, and acting as if they are the most powerful in the room when they know they aren't.

Once, a man came in and got angry when he found out I was the assassin that Tarryn had selected for the job. "This is not something a woman can handle. Get me a man or I'll take my business elsewhere." I had fired back at him with a couple remarks of my own, and that drove him to grab my upper forearm to hit me. 

Within seconds, Tarryn, Kane and I all had our knives out. Mine was pressed to the man's throat, causing a ruby drop of blood to run down his skin and seep into his tunic. "You'd best step away from her." Tarryn had said amiably. "She'll kill you if you don't move away very soon."

Since then, Tarryn makes sure to tell clients that I'm the best they can get in these parts. This man in front of me knows my reputation, but can't help trying to make himself feel like he is the powerful one between the two of us— just like every other man who comes to me to get their dirty work completed.

Of course, none of them are.

Lazily, I throw the pouch to Tarryn, who counts out four coins and tosses it back to me. I tuck it into my belt and bow to the man across the table, allowing a mocking expression to cross my face. "Thank you for your use of our services." I smile. "Maybe I'll be seeing you soon. Hopefully it won't be at your house." 

His stance stiffens as the implication hits him and his two men draw their swords partially out of their scabbards.

Tarryn raises an eyebrow and I smirk at them. Kane has his dagger out already, pretending to clean his nails with it. After a moment, the three strangers back down. The man who just paid me nods at Tarryn and Kane, then exits the room with a final wary glance in my direction.

I laugh and sit on the long table as the door closes behind them. "Did you see how scared he was? Lord, do I get a kick out of this job." Kane slaps me on the back of the head. "You just had to get that last one in there, didn't you Adri?" He laughs as I aim a kick at the back of his knee. "You'd think you'd have gotten better at holding your tongue after all these years," Kane chuckles as he runs upstairs.

Tarryn laughs at that, and walks around the table to sling an arm around my shoulder. "Good for you, honey. I was really itching to see him knocked down a couple pegs." I push him off me and slam my palm into his forehead as I run to the foot of the stairs. "Shut up, Ryn. You just wanted to get paid, you wouldn't have moved even if those guys all jumped on me."  His jaw drops in mock offence, and he rubs his forehead ruefully as I bound up the staircase. "And don't call me honey!" I shout down at him. His laughter follows me to my room. 

I throw myself onto my bed, drawing the covers up to my chest. I take off my black leather corset and pants, then toss my belt onto a small chair and the pouch of coins onto my bedside table. My room is small, but it's the only place that I ever really get to be completely alone around here. I have to get some rest before tomorrow since, knowing Tarryn, I'll probably have another commission to complete soon. 

 I nestle my head on the pillow and shut my eyes with a satisfied smile on my lips, letting the muted bustle of people around the house lull me to sleep.