Chapter Eight - Adrienne

I sit still on the edge of the soft leather of the couch, staring blankly at the fireplace. Me? Assassinating the Crown Prince of the Isle of Wind? I've never had any aspirations about killing someone that high up in society. Not only would it be a free pass to hell by the edge of the executioner's sword, it would be nigh impossible to get into the palace without being slaughtered or arrested first. I breathe in, then out again. I'm getting all kinds of bad news today, none of which I can verify the veracity of. So, my options are simple: continue living my life as if I never learned any of this information, or heed the warnings that the universe, or the gods, or whatever higher power that exists, is sending me. I decide on the last option, because logically if I proceed cautiously and there IS a higher power sending me a warning, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for who or what is trying to keep me out of trouble— There have been many myths and stories of goddesses roaming this earth long before we inhabited it, created at their whim. The favourites of these deities were granted powers unlike anything the world has seen in the last thousand years, power over elements, enhanced capabilities of the physical and mental kind, powers of healing, or even shapeshifting. The goddesses from these stories eventually faded out and away from mankind, leaving their favoured humans behind. Eventually, the goddesses were left to become myths and half whispered stories told to children before they sleep.

No one pays much thought to the rumours of powerful humans in faraway places— they say there's no possible way that the bloodlines of the chosen ones of old could have carried on. However, there are stories of people blessed— or cursed— with powers beyond our understanding. Abilities to control people's minds, read thoughts, or control fire.

These people are often put to death, and nobody speaks of them again.

Now that I'm thinking about it, many mystic or unexplainable occurrences are often glossed over and forgotten by the reigning powers over the many kingdoms scattering the globe. We play along and don't speak of the events which are already difficult to ignore, but why? Surely there's a reason. Suddenly I feel like someone is nudging parts of my brain awake, making me ask myself questions that aren't relevant to me. Why would the throne...

Kane nudges my foot with his. "Adrienne? Are you okay?" I jerk back to reality, my musings scattered. "I'm alright, just tired. If you hear anything else, you'll tell me as soon as you can, right?" Kane nods seriously. I know I can rely on him.

When I get back to my room, I slip out of my dress and leave it on the floor. I pull the curtains over the window and tie up my long, brown hair with a thin strip of leather. Unstrapping all my holsters and tossing my knives into a locked drawer, I slide under my covers and ponder what I've heard today, staring at the ceiling in the dark.