Chapter Twenty Seven - Adrienne

The ballroom goes quiet, the noise of the music and the bustle of the crowd dying down into silence. I arrange my features into an expressionless mask, trying not to let anyone see my fear, and look as though I am equal to be on the arm of a prince.

"You're doing great. Keep that face." Theodore murmurs to me, his lips brushing my ear and making my body tingle. I struggle to keep a straight face as I feel blood rush to my cheeks, and see the people below gaping at our linked arms.

The prince tugs me towards the stairs on the right and we advance down the steps leisurely, ignoring the stares we've attracted as we walk. It feels like an eternity as we stride leisurely through the path that the guests have made, and I force myself not to make eye contact with any of them.

Theodore leads me over to a set of wide stairs opposite the doors we came in from. Atop the dais and at the top of the stairs, sits two regal-looking figures: The king and queen of the Isle of Wind.

"Theodore." The queen says in a stately manner. Theodore bows and I sink into a curtsey, as low as I can go. As I rise, Theodore addresses his mother. "Good evening, Mother." He smiles at her a bit and reaches for my hand, tugging me closer. The queen's mouth tightens as she looks me over. "So! This is your fiancee, Theo? I had no idea you were even courting anyone, how could you keep such a secret from your own mother?" Theodore approaches his mother's throne and kisses her on the cheek apologetically. "My apologies, Mother. I meant it to be a surprise." He looks at me expectantly and hurriedly I begin speaking. "It's an honour to meet you, Your Majesties." My eyes flick to the king for a moment, who is studying me with a calculating expression blanketing his features. Up close, you can tell that Theodore looks much like him. "The honour is ours." The king says in a surprisingly deep voice. I cringe slightly at the rasp of it.

"Oh, my dear, it's an honour to meet you as well! I wish I could have had a proper welcome ready for you," The queen breaks in, her eyes narrowing briefly as she glares at the prince, "But this will have to do. Adrienne, is it? A lovely name indeed." Her skirts rustle as she rises from her seat and walks over to embrace me. My arms hang limply for a split second but I hug her back when Theodore widens his eyes at me threateningly.

The queen holds my shoulders and steps back to examine my face. "Why, aren't you a pretty thing! Such vibrant green eyes. I can see how you caught Teddy's eye." I swallow a laugh when I hear the nickname. Theodore is looking at the ground, avoiding my gaze and I feel the need to laugh harder.

Suddenly the queen turns and releases my shoulders, and I rock backwards slightly. A woman in a deep blue dress is stepping daintily up onto the dais, greeting the queen with a kiss on either cheek. "Good evening, Verena." She murmurs. The woman is platinum blonde, with pale blue eyes and full lips. She's pretty, and the queen is very affectionate with her as they step up to the middle of the dais together.

Theodore comes back over to my side and wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me close to him. Taking his cue, I nestle my head against his shoulder and beam up at him as the queen and the blonde turn to face us. Theodore leans down to kiss my forehead gently, and I feel a shiver trickle down the length of my spine as his lips brush my skin.

The queen is staring at the two of us, and the girl next to her is also studying us curiously. "Theo, this is Princess Zena, from Avenfell." The girl smiles at Theodore prettily, and something twists in me. Theodore bows slightly to the princess. "Well met, Princess. Might I introduce my fiancee, Lady Adrienne Winger?" I step incline my head towards Zena. "A pleasure." I say, a condescending expression covering my face. I watch her flush slightly at my tone, and I smirk internally.

"Zena is here because I thought she'd be a potential wife for Theodore," The queen announces. I hear the tone in her voice and I wonder... surely she won't— "She will stay here as a guest, and I'd much appreciate if Theo would continue in his plan to get to know her, as she is a possible match."

I gape at the queen, and Theodore's hand tightens on my hip. I take his hand, squeezing it gently in reassurance. "Mother. What in the name of the goddesses are you thinking?" The queen turns to her son, an innocent expression on her face. "It's only fair, my dear. She came all this way, you might consider her feelings." I feel the liking I had for the queen begin to curl into dislike. I may not even be Theodore's real fiancee, but the fact that she would expect him to jeopardize his own relationship just to placate some princess? She underestimates just how wilful the prince can be.

Theodore clenches his fists and grabs my hand once more. "I don't want to do this right now. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to join the party with my fiancee. Who, would you look at that! Happens to be right here. How dare you disrespect my relationship like this."

Seething, Theodore turns and pulls me with him down the stairs towards the ball, leaving the queen and Zena standing on the dais.

As we approach the middle of the ballroom, I sweep my eyes over my surroundings. There are ladies in sweeping gowns and girls in slim dresses, and men in jackets and cloaks. Their figures litter the creamy tiles of the ballroom floor, and the fabrics and jewelry shimmer and flash under the chandeliers hanging forty feet above us. There are long tables of food lining the sides of the room, arrayed with everything from fruit to chocolates on silver platters. Musicians are positioned on a platform on the far end of the long room, the music floating off of their instruments like a summer breeze. In the middle of the ballroom is a circle of people, in which couples are dancing together in lively steps. Skirts twirl, shoes click on the tiled floor, violins sing cheerfully, and I feel overwhelmed.

Theodore pulls me forward, still angry. His eyes have darkened after his exchange with his mother, and I am almost afraid of him for a moment. His hold on my hand is tight as he strides forwards, nodding at courtiers who trip over themselves to greet him. "Good evening, Your Majesty." A young woman approaches us with the air of one bored of everyone around her. She flashes an adoring smile at the prince, but her eyes narrow as she looks at me. "And who might this be?" I smile at her, making sure she can see the scorn in my expression. Theodore pulls me closer and shoots a lazy half smile in the woman's direction, all traces of his anger gone. "This is Lady Winger. She's my... special guest in the palace." He smirks and his hand tightens around my waist. I lean into him and smile up at him, my hand moving to his chest.

The woman looks furious, her smile frozen onto her face as she clenches her jaw. "What a pleasure to meet you. I am Lady Opal Rian, a friend of the prince's." She says tightly. I incline my head slightly at her, enjoying her anger. "Oh... Theodore hasn't spoken of you at all, I'm afraid. But it is indeed a pleasure." I smile sweetly at her as she struggles to find words, and pat Theodore's chest. "Shall we walk?" I ask him lightly, letting him see the glint of amusement in my eyes. His eyes are alight with mischief and he nods. "Of course, My Lady. Goodbye, Lady Rian." Opal stares daggers at me as we leave, and I manage to stay quiet for all of ten seconds before Theodore tugs my arm and we duck out of a door, convulsing into laughter on the balcony out of sight of the partygoers.

"By the goddesses, I've been waiting years to do that," The prince gasps between fits of laughter. "She's always been chasing me and I've had no way to get rid of her till now." I cough, and take a deep breath to compose myself. "We should go back in before somebody notices." Theodore says. I grin at him and offer my hand, and he takes it with a wink. "You're not half bad, Winger." He says. I tighten my hold on his hand and wonder why I can't stop smiling. I'm foolishly happy that I could make him laugh again, even though this entire relationship is a fake. 

"Want to dance?" He asks me with a genuine smile. I step backwards, letting go of his hand. "I wish, but..." Theodore raises his eyebrows. "You can't tease me, alright?" He nods and holds up his hand, palm facing me. "I swear it." He says solemnly and I laugh. "I can't dance." I whisper. He gapes at me, and I know he's about to make fun. "No. Teasing." I point a finger at him warningly. "No, no, I promise I'm not going to tease." He says, coughing as a laugh rises in his chest. I roll my eyes, crossing my arms in mock offence. I'm facing away from him when his hands meet my waist and he murmurs in my ear—

"Do you want me to teach you?"