Chapter Thirty Five - Theodore

I pull Adrienne with me as we enter the circle of couples, turning to face her and taking both of her hands in mine. I'm so glad she's back with me and that she gave me an opportunity to get away from Zena; the princess doesn't stop talking and seems just fast coquettish and petty as every other woman I've met in court. She kept touching my hand and shoulder, and it kept making me think of Adrienne's feather-light touch this morning when I was angry.

Usually when I'm angry I hit things— I spar with Zephyr, or I go and relieve myself of pent up feelings by finding a particularly solid tree and hitting it until my knuckles bleed and drip onto the grass. But, with Adrienne, my anger felt different; she made me feel as though the emotion was dissipating simply through her words and her touch. I felt chilled air brush my cheeks when she embraced me, and I cooled down considerably as we sat together on her bed. She has a way about her— she's sweet and considerate, once she opens the door through the abrasive, prickly wall that she puts up around her.

"Theodore," Adrienne's voice pulls me out of my musings abruptly. I focus on her and smile. She's staring at me with expectantly. "Sorry," I murmur seriously. "I was trying to erase all the awful memories of Zena from supper." Adrienne grins at me and pats my head. "I feel for you, you poor thing."

The music begins and I place Adrienne's left hand on my shoulder. Her right is swept up in mine while I place my palm on her waist. "Do you remember how the steps go?" I whisper to her. "Yes, I think I'm alright." She murmurs back. We go through the movements together as the music floats around us. I look down at her as we dance, noticing how long her lashes actually are as she keeps her gaze cast down at her feet in concentration. "Adrienne," I say under my breath. "What? Am I doing it wrong?" She looks worried and I stifle a laugh. "No, you're doing just fine. Just keep looking up at me, it's harder when you concentrate too much."

She seems hesitant to make eye contact so I release her hand for a moment to tip her chin up towards me. I swear she blushes but I don't point it out; I just smile at her as we whirl away amongst the dancing couples.

Adrienne pulls me off to the side after the dance because apparently she spotted a plate of her favourite chocolates on one of the tables. She pops one into my mouth when I'm distracted, making me cough. She throws the scrunched-up wrapper at my head when I raise my eyebrows at her. "Try them. They're delicious, I could eat them all day." She's already downed three of them and I watch her in amusement as she slips some more into the bodice of her dress. "What?" She hisses defensively. "They're for later." I grab another chocolate because she's right, they're quite good, then follow her to the opposite side of the room where she greets another courtier enthusiastically.

The brunette woman Adrienne is kissing on the cheek was seated next to her during supper; I vaguely remember her from previous encounters. She's pretty, I suppose, but somehow everyone seems to fade in comparison to Adrienne when she is nearby.

I catch up to Adrienne as she's in a conversation with the woman, wrapping my arms around her from behind. She starts when I touch her and I can feel her shoulders tense beneath me. "Hello, My Lady." I say, winking at the brown-haired woman. She laughs and curtseys to me. "Good evening, Your Highness." I wave a hand airily. "No formalities from a friend of My Lady. Please, call my Theodore." She looks slightly nervous at that but smiles and nods. "This is Lady Sophia Russell," Adrienne says, twisting in my arms to see my face. "A pleasure, Lady Sophia." I incline my head in her direction. She surveys us with an amused expression on her face— Adrienne with both of my arms around her and one of her hands in mine, and my head resting gently against Adrienne's hair. Lady Sophia's gaze softens as she looks at us. "I'll leave you two alone. Excuse me, Your Grace." She winks at Adrienne over her shoulder, and Adrienne laughs as she turns her head to see me. Her nose brushes my jaw when she looks up at me and I feel my heartbeat speed up at the contact; her mouth is inches from mine and I'm painfully aware of it.

To stop myself from crossing a line and kissing Adrienne, I turn slightly away from her and scan the room behind us, looking idly for any sign of my parents. As usual, they both sit on their elevated platform on their thrones, watching the dancers and musicians from above. Zena is seated at my mother's left, and they seem to be deep in conversation about something important.

I see my mother turn to look in our direction and I immediately bury my face in Adrienne's shoulder, my lips just barely brushing her bare skin. "Theodore—?" She asks, startled. "My mother is looking this way, she's watching us," I reply, my words muffled by her neck. "Try and act like you don't completely hate me."

Adrienne laughs then hesitates, then gently winds her fingers in my hair as I lean on her neck from behind. I feel my body relax involuntarily and she whispers to me. "Is this good?" I struggle to force the words out momentarily as my entire focus is pinpointed on how her hand feels in my ruffled hair; "It's perfect." 

I know that there's no way that my mother is still watching us, but I conveniently forget to mention that to Adrienne. We rock back and forth together and I feel so very at home and safe here that I'm almost dreading the moment that I have to let go.