Chapter Twenty Six - Adrienne

My face is burning as I replay the prince's words in my head, pacing my bedroom back and forth. Did he mean that? Or was he just playing the part of the enamoured fiancé?  I groan and punch the bedpost, swearing as my knuckle splits against the wood. I want to go for a run to get my nerves out but I can't— barely anyone knows I'm ever here. I throw myself onto the cream, silken sheets of my bed and lie in silence, repeating my encounter with Theodore over and over until I doze off.

Cianna shales my shoulder gently a while later, and I open my eyes sleepily. Cianna, Kaltis, and Gwen's faces slid into focus as my eyes adjust. I squint as the evening light floods into my room and shines into my irises, and yawn. "The ball begins in an hour, My Lady. You've been asleep for a while now, would you like to get begin getting ready?"

I smile at the three of them. "Of course! I'm excited to see the gowns you have for me to choose from." Gwen claps her hands happily. "I hope you pick my favourite one, I think you'd look absolutely stunning in it." I laugh and stretch my arms above my head, a satisfied noise escaping my mouth as my fingers brush the headboard. I slip out of bed, smiling shyly at the girls as they take my arms and lead me to the dressing room.

Gwen gently cleans off the blood that has dried onto my knuckles without comment, and I wince as the cold air settles against the broken skin. Cianna is brushing my long, brown hair and massaging some lavender scented oils into my scalp, making my hair shimmer like there's faerie dust in it. Kaltis browses the dresses that hang on a rack far to the right of the room— apparently, as I've recently discovered, there's a difference between afternoon gowns and ballgowns.

Kaltis comes over to the mirror where I sit on a gold chair, and picks up a small brush. She begins to apply something shimmery and red to my eyelids and I try not to flinch as she comes close to my face. Red lipstick goes on next and I look at my reflection in the glass, wondering why the colour reminds me so uncomfortably of blood.

The gown that Kaltis has chosen for me takes what feels like hours to put on. It's heavy, too, and I almost ask if we can pick a different dress— but then Gwen rotates me towards the mirror and I gasp.

The gown is deep red, with curling accents along the folds. The layers of the dress fall gracefully around me, trailing behind me as I move. The sleeves are off the shoulder, and the bodice is covered in flowery red lace that stops at the girdle around my torso, which cinches my already-slim waist. A cream glove covers the wounds on my right hand, and a ruby ring adorns my left middle finger. Briefly, I think of Tarryn's ring. A gold necklace lies against my throat, sparkling in the light of the setting sun. All of this combined with the red makeup, I look... "Stunning."

I turn around to see who spoke, and Theodore stands leisurely in the doorway of the dressing room. He leans against the doorframe with his hands in his pockets, smiling at me slightly. I blush, much to my frustration. "Thank you, Your Highness." I smirk at him as his mouth tightens at the title. "Well, ladies, you've done a brilliant job." He turns to my ladies-in-waiting. "You may spend the rest of the evening off, if you'd like." Gwen's face lights up and they all curtsey hurriedly. "You have our thanks, sir." Kaltis says in her quiet way. "Enjoy the ball!" Gwen squeals, turning red when Theodore smiles at her. Cianna nudges the other two girls, and they leave the room in single file.

Theodore and I watch them go, then he turns to me slowly. He looks me over once more, and I take the opportunity to admire how handsome he looks. He's wearing red as well, which makes me smile slightly. He wears a red jacket with gold lining, and a black shirt underneath. The top three buttons of his shirt are undone, and I can see some of his chest underneath the matte fabric. His pants are black, creasing with his movements. He wears an ebony ring on his left hand, and it glints darkly in the light. I stare at the ring idly, entertaining the idea of the stone against my skin...

"...Adrienne?" I blink and look up at the prince. He's laughing slightly as he looks at me, and I scowl at him. "We should probably go down to the ballroom soon. Are you ready? Do you remember what the backstory is?" I nod my head in assent. I remember. "Lovely. Shall we go then?" I smile at him slightly, meeting his deep blue eyes. Right now, they're so dark they look like they could be purple. Then suddenly, in a split second, someone else's blue eyes flash into my mind and I flinch away from Theodore, lifting two hands to my face.

The smell of the drink on his breath, my mother's screams and her pleading as his fists seek out her soft skin. I cower under the bed, knowing that it's only a matter of time until it's my turn. He turns, sweeping the room with the piercing blue of his bloodshot gaze. He staggers upstairs, looking for me, and I hear my mother whisper from where she lies broken on the floor. "Please. Adri. Go find Tobias, and don't come back till morning." I choke on a sob, wanting to help her get up, to stroke the golden strands of her hair and tell her it will be okay, but I can hear the heavy footsteps on the stairs and I know I can't help her. I run, my throat closing up as the emotions roll over me like a tidal wave. I call his name, needing him to rock me in his arms until I feel alright again. "Tobias!"

When I come back to the present, I find myself on the floor in Theodore's arms. He has me propped up against his left arm, his other hand cupping my face as he tries to wake me up. "Adrienne? Are you alright?" The concern in his voice surprises me and my heart twists in my chest. I nod dizzily and sit up, frowning when the heat from his hand on my cheek leaves. He keeps a hand on the small of my back as he kneels next to me, rubbing my back slightly. "It's okay. I get them too. Just breathe, it's okay." I look at him as he meets my eyes. He's being honest.

It takes a couple moments for me to get back to my feet, but when I do, Theodore places my hand in the crook of his arm and pulls me closer to him. The gesture and the pressure of his touch feels protective, but that can't be it. He's just setting up the ruse. Nevertheless, I pull myself closer to him, feeling oddly safe with this tall prince beside me.

As we walk downstairs, he murmurs to me, "Later do you want to tell me about the flashback?" I tighten my grip on his arm. "Maybe." I whisper back. We walk in silence for the rest of the way, but it doesn't feel as awkward as I'd expected. I focus on not tripping over my gown, and I hear the prince laughing quietly next to me. I glare at him, but I can't help joining in after a moment. His laugh is contagious, and makes me want to elicit the sound from him more. I pinch myself on the arm at that, knowing that I need to stop thinking about him like this.

As we near the ballroom, couples and courtiers begin to fill the hallways. Theodore nods at some of them, and I construct a demure smile to accompany his greetings. People shoot us strange looks, and I hear hushed whispers begin to circulate. "...prince's betrothed?" And, "He never comes to these with a woman." I feel satisfaction growing in me. The plan is working.

We reach an enormous set of double doors, beside which stand two guards and a page. Theodore glances at them, and they rush to the handles of the doors. He whispers to the page for a moment, and the doors begin to open as we stand before them. Theodore pulls me forward leisurely, placing his hand on mine as it rests on his arm. I feel the reassurance he's trying to convey through his touch and I relax slightly, stepping forwards with him into the bright lights and onto the platform beyond the doors.

The page knocks his staff against the floor three times, the sound echoing across the ballroom. The guests stop and the sound of the party dies down as the page begins his announcement.

 "His Majesty, Prince Theodore of the Isle of Wind, and his betrothed, Lady Adrienne Winger!"

-----

i hope you all are enjoying the story, thank you all sm for 1.6k reads <3 your support means a lot to me, ily all! ill try to keep posting new chapters as often as i can for u, i love reading your comments on the chapters lol. ly all <33

- C