Chapter Fifty Six - Theodore

The light in Aesira's palm is swirling and captivating, casting rosy light onto all of our faces as we stare down at her cupped hand. I look at Adrienne, who sits across the table from me, pride splayed across her face as she keeps her hand firmly on Aesira's back. 

Everyone's expression is awed, and I'm sure that mine is no different. I had an inkling of an idea when Zephyr traipsed downstairs earlier without a trace of his wound in sight, but I wasn't completely sure of her abilities. No wonder Adrienne was so set on bringing her back to The House. 

After a long moment, Aesira closes her palm and the light snuffs out like a sparkling candle flame. She tucks her hands into her lap shyly, looking up at Adrienne for reassurance. 

"Well as you can see, the only two people in this room who have magical powers are coincidentally also the only two women in the room as well," Adrienne drawls, relieving the awkward tension. "Which means that the hierarchy of who listens to who goes: me, Sira, and then the lot of you last." 

Zephyr's mouth drops open in mock outrage. "I'm sitting RIGHT HERE." He exclaims in offence, his wings unfurling into existence amidst curling plumes of smoky glamour magic as if to make a point. Adrienne winks at me. "I don't know if that counts. But if you need to be included that badly, then fine. Me, Sira, Zephyr, and then the rest of you talentless men." She concedes. 

Kane and Tarryn roll their eyes. 

I break in. "I feel like I should be higher up on this pecking order, seeing as the rest of you are technically peasants and I'm the only royal-born person currently present. No offence."  Five sets of eyes turn to me with incredulity. I raise my hands in concession. "Never mind, I guess. Apologies." 

Adrienne waves her hand, dispersing scattered laughter. "We have no time for jokes and swapping insults. The time for that is over. Right now, we need to get a good night's sleep while we can-- chances are, the Queen it going to find us here in a matter of days. We'll rest up tonight, and then wake up and plan out how we're going to kill His Highness' mother." 

I nod grimly. "I will not hold it against you if one of you kills her before I do, but I would like to be the person to do it. I have some words and questions for her before she dies." 

Adrienne walks around the table to sit on the armrest of my chair, placing a steady hand on my shoulder. "Come on. Let's go to bed, everyone. Planning starts in the morning." 

---

Adrienne and I walk up to the topmost floor of The House hand in hand, bidding goodnight to our friends before slipping into her bedroom quietly. Adrienne shuts the door behind us, and leads me over to her bed. We sit down next to each other, her body curled into mine as we gaze out the small window across the room. 

"This isn't exactly as grand and romantic as your royal quarters at the palace, is it?" Adrienne laughs softly. 

"No, it's not. But I wouldn't care even if we were in a swamp. I just want to be wherever you are, My Lady." I whisper back. Adrienne kisses my cheek softly, and I feel her lips curve up against my skin. 

"I love you." She breathes. 

"I love you, too." 

We sit in silence for a while, basking in the rare alone-time that we have in this moment. My mind swirls as I think about how grateful I am that Adri is alive and well next to me, and that everyone else is in one piece too. I think about my mother's face as she controlled Zena, as she stabbed Zephyr and tried to take control of Adrienne, too. My face twists as the hurt and pain of her betrayal really hits me for the first time. 

Adrienne looks up at me, sensing my internal struggle. She wraps her arms around me wordlessly, pulling me into her as I mourn for my father-- unfeeling and cold as he was-- and for my mother, who I will have to kill to save the woman I love and everyone else I care about. 

Adrienne rocks me back and forth gently, offering silent comfort as we lie down on her bed. 

After a while, when I've calmed down a bit, she speaks. "I killed my father." She whispers, so softly I can barely hear her. 

"I hated him. I hated him for years. All the training I did-- archery, knife throwing, sword fighting, all of it... every training dummy, every target, every sparring partner, I imagined that it was him. So when Tarryn put me through The Test, I went straight to my childhood home. I told my mother not to interfere, and then I went and woke him up. I took off my mask, and let him see me as what I was. The daughter he tried to break. Who begged him not to kill my mother every gods-damned night."

Adrienne swallows and I cup her cheek. She looks at me with tears in her eyes, and I let her see in mine that I am not judging her. She coughs softly before continuing.

"I stood over him while he was on the floor and I told him that he was going to wish that he never gave me life. He cowered and screamed and begged but it didn't matter. I took my time with him," Adrienne whispers. "and it was all worth it to see the life drain out of his eyes. Even though I wept as I did it." 

Adrienne looks at me, clamping two hands on either side of my face and turning my head to look back at her. "It may hurt you unbearably to be the one to kill Verena," she says. "But that hurt will be your anchor when the regret comes. Because for her, she's already let go of that pain when she decided to kill you first. It's a kill-or-be-killed world, Theo. And right now, you know that the most difficult decision is also the right one-- to kill her first." 

I exhale slowly, nodding as her words sink in. "You're right." I sigh. "And I know I can do it. Thinking about it more just makes it harder and harder to imagine."  

Adrienne rubs my arm soothingly, concern creasing her forehead. I smile slightly and brush my thumb over the wrinkles, smoothing them out until she relaxes. I plant a kiss on her forehead, pulling the blanket up around us as we lay tangled in each other's arms. 

"I don't know what I'd do without you, or who I'd be if I hadn't met you." I murmur as sleeps drapes itself over me. 

"I will always be right here with you." She whispers back. Our eyes close and we drift off to sleep, bodies close as the stars and the moon shine in from the window, brushing silvery and quiet over our still forms like magic. 

---- 

Author's Note: 

I don't know how many people are going to see this but to the people who see the notification for this chapter and come back to read it: Welcome back. It's been a long two years since I last updated this story and I am so sorry for the long, LONG cliffhanger. 

Since you last heard from me, I graduated high school and am now in university for English Literature (funnily enough), so I've come back to TBILAM and I am determined to finish it even though I distinctly feel as though the storyline and characters have gotten away from me and are writing the story themselves. 

Hopefully this chapter is satisfying enough after a year of silence on my end. For those of you who come back to read, thank you endlessly and sincerely for your patience and support. 

Much love, 

- C