Chapter 1

Disclaimer: The Hobbit belongs to J.R.R Tolkien, WB, and MGM

The crisp winter air bit into my cheeks, but I found it oddly refreshing after months being couped up indoors. I needed a small adventure. Truth be told, I actually needed a big one but this was all I could manage.

A pair of cardinals fluttered into the naked branches of an oak tree chirping sweetly to one another. I paused to watch them for a moment before moving further down the trail.

Finding a fallen log, I dusted it off and sat down stretching out my legs. I closed my eyes and let all my worries drain out of me. It had been too long since I felt like I could breathe, like so many others.

"Ah, it's a lovely day. A truly lovely day to venture forth and have an adventure."

My eyes snapped open at the low voice. A man in drab blue robes and a drooping hat leaned on a staff less than five feet away from her.

I studied him warily. This was a public park, technically, but I'd banked on the weather keeping people away. So much for that theory. I pulled my mask up closer around my nose.

"Can I help you, sir?" My voice came out muffled, but still polite, though I noticed the stranger did not have a mask on.

"Perhaps, perhaps." He murmured, stroking his long gray beard. "I haven't decided yet."

I stood, dusting off my pants, moving to put the requisite six feet between us. "And what is that supposed to mean?" I challenged.

The man must have noted the anxiety in my eyes because he clucked his tongue. "Fear not. I cannot catch the illness this world harbors."

I looked at him like he was nuts. How many people had died around the globe since the pandemic began?

My panic subsided enough to notice the stranger had shuffled closer, the toes of his leather boots sticking out beneath the hem of his strange ragged robe. "It is fortuitous that I crossed paths with you now. As it happens, I am in need of someone like you."

I crossed my arms, a little bit miffed at his dismissive tone. "What do you mean by that?"

"Someone who has been beaten down by life, who believes themselves to be a failure. Someone with little hope."

I cringed reflexively at the truth of his words. The last thing I wanted was a stranger telling me I was a loser.

After years of writing I was no closer to finishing a book than when I had begun. Writer's block always triumphed in the end. I'd thought a walk would clear my head of my negative thoughts and inspiration would strike. It appeared fate had other ideas.

The top of the man's unusual staff began to glow as if lit by a led light. The man's weathered fingers stroked up and down the wood absentmindedly. "Well, its decided then."

"What's decided?" I demanded sharply or started to when a coughing fit suddenly overtook me.

I doubled over clutching my middle as my heart began to slow and the stranger watched me with a faint smile on his lips.

What the hell was going on? Why did I feel so sluggish? I blinked slowly and my limbs grew heavy with fatigue.

"I am sorry about this, but this will only work if I stop your heart but worry not its only temporary. Makes interdimensional travel easier for mortals."

"You-what are you doing to me...." The words died on my lips as my vision blurred and my legs buckled beneath me, my body tumbling into a thick pile of snow.

The last thing I saw was a friendly bearded face peering down at me with mild curiosity. "Well, you're not quite what I was looking for, but I think you'll do."

And with that ringing endorsement everything went black.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

I woke with a gasp my heart slamming violently to life in my chest. All traces of the wintry park were gone. I struggled to a sitting position and gazed around, searching for the stranger ready to give him a piece of my mind. He was nowhere to be found. Great. I got mugged by an old guy in the park. I wish I could say I was surprised but if I learned anything in the past year it was to expect the unexpected. My mistake for letting my guard down. I then became aware of my surroundings.

I lay on a hill overlooking a valley that seemed vaguely familiar. Grassy paths ambled lazily up and down the hills that cradled a field of wildflowers and an emerald green sward, cut by a bubbling brook. My breath hitched in my throat as an impossible notion swam to the surface. No. It couldn't be.

I forced myself to stand, my legs a bit wobbly. A cart pulled by a donkey squeaked up the path, a small man sat on the bench and gave me a wave. "Good afternoon, miss. Pleasant day, wouldn't you say?"

I moved closer, squinting at the man. Beneath a mop of unruly curls large pointed ears knifed out from his head. I walked up along the cart and peered down at his feet. His bare, hairy feet.

"Miss?" The man sounded vaguely nervous under my scrutiny.

I peeled of my mask with numb fingers, tucking it in my pocket. If I was where I thought I was, I had no need of it. "Excuse me. Can you tell me where I am?"

The man's thick brows swooped over his eyes in a frown. "Why the Shire, of course, miss! How came you to be here? We do not get many Men traveling through these parts."

"Are you..." I choked on the words and the finally forced them out. "Are you a Hobbit?"

The man's expression changed to one of concern. "Yes, miss. Are you alright?"

The world spun around me as I struggled to breathe. I was in the Shire. The Shire. That crazy man had somehow transported me here. To a place that does not exist. Or should not. I ran a trembling hand over my face as reality set in. What was I going to do now? I had no money, no food and the stranger wasn't around to clue me in.

I was on my own.

I blinked rapidly and forced myself to take a deep breath. First thing first. I had to solve the money and food dilemma.

The hobbit still stared at me with compassion and a little wariness, like I was a bit crazy.

I'd begun to wonder that myself.

I straightened my spine. "Do you know of any place I might find employment?"

"Hmm, let me see. The barkeep can always use a hand down at the tavern, and Old Tugglefoot was going on about needing a hand on his boat." He tapped the reins against his thigh. "Oh! Mr. Bilbo is in need of a housekeeper. You might wish to try him. It would be a good fit for a young lady."

"B-Bilbo?" I stuttered. "Bilbo B-Baggins?"

"Yes, Mr. Baggins. Do you know him?" The hobbit asked curiously.

"Uh, not really." I whispered faintly, on the verge of hysteria.

"Well, he lives on the top of the hill over there, right below the old oak. Can't miss it." The farmer plopped a straw hat on his head and nodded cordially. "I best be going. Best of luck to you, miss."

Ten minutes later I stood in front of the familiar green door a hand clutching at my throat. I smoothed down the front of my coat and raised my hand to knock.

"Just a moment, I'll be right with you." A harried voice called from within the hobbit hole.

I folded my hands in front of me and waited. Nervousness and excitement chased around my gut as I was only moments away of meeting a character from one of my favorite books.

A minute later I heard the soft pattering of feet and then a sandy-haired hobbit with brown eyes eased the door open. He did a double take when he noticed me. A human. "C-can I help you?"

"Yes." I squeaked then cleared my throat and tried again. "I heard you have an opening for a housekeeper?"