Chapter 26

The makeshift camp was half-chaos, half-order, the elves' tents lined up in neat, regimented rows in the market square of the old town while the humans sheltered in the remains of buildings.

People streamed through the streets and alleys in droves. The elf navigated the chaos with ease, weaving through the crowds to the largest tent located in the center of the elven camp.

A pair of guards flanked the entrance. Our escort spoke to one of them and they darted inside, coming back out almost as quickly. "You may enter."

Taking a fortifying breath, I marched inside. Thranduil, Legolas, Gandalf, and a tall handsome dark-eyed man were in deep discussion.

Thranduil perched on a throne wearing a silver circlet. He had seriously had his servants haul a throne for him to sit on in his war camp-as if they would forget his position outside Mirkwood and needed the reminder.

His icy blue eyes landed on me and he raised his hand to halt the conversation. "So...the mortal has come crawling back. Tell me, was the hospitality of the dwarves not to your liking?" He leaned forward, draping an arm carelessly over his knee. "You would prefer to surrender yourself back into my custody?"

My blood boiled at the smirk curling his lips. Thranduil was such a Karen!

Bilbo shuffled forward and removed a bundle from his coat, placing it on the table in front of Thranduil.

"You are the halfling who snuck around my halls." Thranduil's expression was now unreadable as he regarded the Hobbit.

I hung back letting the moment unfold.

Flinging back the cloth, Bilbo revealed the Arkenstone. "You can trade the stone for your claims."

"The Arkenstone." Thranduil murmured, a calculating look coming into his sharp gaze.

"How is this yours to give?" The human demanded.

Puffing up his chest, Bilbo regarded him levelly. "I claimed it as my share of the treasure."

"Why do you do this? You owe us nothing!" The dark-eyed man exclaimed, a sadness lingering about his brow.

This must be Bard the Bowman. I studied him carefully. He looked about eight years or so older than me, in his early forties. He wore the years well and was quite handsome.

With a defiant tilt of his chin, Bilbo scoffed. "I'm not doing this for you! I know dwarves are obstinate, and hard-headed and with the worse table manners imaginable." He paused when Gandalf chuckled quietly. "But they are also kind and loyal. I will save them if I can."

Bard and Thranduil looked at each other. The elven king seemed impressed with the Hobbit's courage and sincerity.

Leaning back in his throne, he curled his hand beneath his chin. "Thorin Oakenshield will not take your betrayal lightly."

I flinched. Thranduil was right. Thorin's madness made him erratic and prone to fits of violent rage which is part of the reason I had left Erebor.

Bilbo bowed his head. "I know but if I can protect my friends, I will."

Bilbo.

My eyes burned.

I blinked back tears, overcome by sudden emotion. He was such a good friend. I'd never met anyone like him, and it made me glad that crazy old wizard in the park dumped me in Middle Earth. Because I was given the chance to meet him and learn what true friendship could be.

My hair slid over my face as I reached for the wine bottle and filled a goblet. Thranduil glared at me but didn't say anything about me helping myself to his wine.