Chapter 6

Gandalf tapped his staff against one of the troll statues and harrumphed. "It's rare for trolls to descend from the mountains."

"The trolls would not have traveled such a distance frequently and risked being turned to stone." Thorin mused, cradling his chin in his hand. "They must have sheltered close to here."

I peered up at one leering grotesque face and shuddered. "At least we survived the encounter without becoming troll chow."

The trolls were even more disgusting up close. Seeing their stone carcasses, I only felt relief they were dead. Imagine what kind of damage the trolls would have done if Gandalf hadn't saved the day.

"For which I am grateful. There is no quest without the company." The wizard remarked dryly then added. "I must say I am impressed with your adaptability, Miss Monroe. You should be proud for thinking so quickly."

"Yes, I'm a real maverick." I said sardonically.

The fur trim on Thorin's surcoat ruffled in the early morning breeze as he dropped his hand and looked at me. "I underestimated you." He said grudgingly.

His unexpected praise ruffled me. "No, you didn't. I'm not a fighter. I just got lucky."

Leaning on his staff, Gandalf peered down at me sternly. "Luck is nothing to turn your nose up at, my dear. It has turned the tide in many a battle." He said, but I wasn't listening.

The last of the adrenaline from the fight drained out of me and I swayed wearily on my feet, leaning against one of the statues for balance.

Thorin grabbed me by the arm so I didn't face-plant on the ground. "Are you alright?"

Running a hand over my face, I sighed. "Nothing that sleep won't cure."

"I'm afraid you will not find your rest until this eve. We must continue on our journey." Thorin replied, drawing away from me to speak with Gandalf alone.

Figures. Do one good deed and still end up screwed. I'd stab the trolls in their junk all over again if I could get a cup of coffee. I thought darkly. Unfortunately, coffee makers did not exist in Middle Earth.

A mountain of bags trudged into view. Part of the company had been sent to the camp to retrieve our belongings while the rest of us remained here.

Kili dropped my pack in front of me with a huge grin. "I for one, don't regret seeing our scribe in action." He draped a companionable arm across my shoulders. "We'll have to give you a name. A name worthy of a hero."

Hauling a pair of bulging saddle bags, Fili joined us. "Tis custom among dwarves to give a name for a great deed done in battle." He said seriously.

I was instantly suspicious. The pair were up to no good. "Great deed? All I did was throw a fire poker at the troll."

Mischief danced in Kili's eyes. "Aye, your skills are quite impressive. Many a male would quake before the dreaded Shaft Killer." He brandished my fire poker theatrically, pretending to jab his brother in the gonads.

"Hey, watch it Kili!" Fili yelped, covering himself.

I chuckled at their antics. The brothers knew how to lighten the mood. "Shaft Killer? You guys are playing with me. There's no way a dwarf would be okay with being referred to as that."

Pulling me close, Kili declared in a sonorous voice, "Hence forth you shall be known as Adelaide Shaft Killer!"

Fili snorted, choking back laughter. "Aye, suits you well. When they hear the tale, Dwarves from here to the Blue Mountains will rush to conceal their family jewels from your wrath."