Chapter 13

Disclaimer: The Hobbit belongs to J.R.R. Tolkien, WB, MGM. This is a fanfiction, a non-commercial derivative work. I only own Adelaide. 

Aeriel and I entered the great hall where it seemed all the elves in Rivendell had decided to gather. They clustered in orderly groups along the edge of the room, the center taken up by formal dining tables that spanned the length of the hall.

Arched windows spanned both sides, open to the warm evening air. More elves gathered on the mezzanine murmuring quietly amongst themselves.

I searched for the company, spotting Kili, Fili, and Oin standing near the front of the hall before a table on a raised dais. They were dressed in freshly pressed tunics, their hair braided neatly.

Excusing myself from Aeriel I wove through the center aisle to reach them. "I see you boys dressed for the occasion."

Kili tore his attention away from a female elf threading through the crowd with a tray of wine and gawked. "By Mahal's scraggly beard, the elf maids worked wonders on you." He circled me, taking in the form fitting dress, and neatly arranged hair. "Uncle's jaw will drop in astonishment when he sees you."

My smile slipped a fraction. What was I before a train wreck? Kili was losing his touch, dishing out back-handed compliments but the idea of striking Thorin speechless had some appeal. "Thorin probably won't come."

Fili drank deeply from a goblet. "Aye, tis true. He's not fond of elves, unlike my brother who has an unnatural inclination for their maids." He cast a pointed glance at Kili. "Dwarrowdams are more to my liking."

Kili grinned good-naturedly. "I am a staunch admirer of all female beauty." He winked at an elf maid who scoffed and turned her back on him.

"Yet, the ladies seem impervious to your charm." I noted, snagging a wine goblet from a passing tray.

"I'll grow on them."

Studying him over the rim of my goblet, I smiled. I couldn't fault Kili's self-confidence. I wished I were more confident in myself. Instead, I felt like one step away from falling over a cliff. I surveyed the crowded room for the other dwarves and Bilbo. "Where is everyone?"

"Dwalin's not coming. The others will be along presently." Oin said.

A few minutes later, Lord Elrond appeared, taking a seat at the table with Lindir, and a pair of twin elves who bore a striking resemblance to him. They must be his sons, Elrohir and Elladan.

Odd, I thought they were supposed to be in the North with Aragorn and the Rangers. I shrugged. Maybe that's later in the timeline. I liked the books and films, but I was not so obsessive I knew every intimate detail about Middle Earth.

Once the Lord of Rivendell took his place, the rest of the elves scattered to the tables and the platters of food spread across them.

Aelfric the healer appeared before me, extending his arm gracefully. "My lady."

I peered up at him warily. This is the first time we had spoken since he released me from his care. "Yes, my lord?"

"Will you grant me the honor of escorting you to your table?" He asked politely.

"Certainly." I threaded my arm through his and he led me to the table furthest to the right where Aeriel and Aerys were already seating themselves.

Aelfric pulled out a chair for me and waited for me to sit before taking the vacant chair to my left.

Fili, Kili, and Oin were shown to Lord Elrond's table. At the same time the rest of the company arrived and ascended the dais behind the other dwarves. Thorin, of course, was absent.