Chapter 22

Found this image on Google and it suits my image of Aelfric perfectly! (c) ?

"Lady Adelaide!"

The quill in my hand slipped, drawing an ugly black line across the page. I scowled at the ruined text and puffed out my cheeks. Lord Aelfric didn't appear to notice and strode into my room. "Lady Adelaide, your friends have escaped."

I rubbed a hand over my face, his words barely registering. "What?"

Maybe getting up early to write wasn't the best decision. I was exhausted from the party the night before. I turned to look at Aelfric. I plunked the quill on the desk and balled up the ruined page into a tight ball.

"The dwarves have escaped." The elf repeated firmly to gain my attention.

His words struck like a hammer blow. Escaped. The Company left without me? Tears stung my eyes as I realized what it meant.

I'd been abandoned. Why? "Care to elaborate, my lord?"

"The dwarves were able to open their cells. No one knows how." Aelfric shook his head. "They gained access to the underground tunnels, using the empty wine barrels as watercraft to flee. My king, is livid with the events that have transpired."

I barely acknowledged what the healer said, draping my arm over the back of the chair. Things were progressing quickly now. Damn it. Stubborn dwarf. This is the worst time for Thorin to ditch me. How could I save them if I wasn't with them?

I didn't remember the gold lust taking Thorin this soon. He shouldn't be exhibiting signs of gold-fever until Laketown. Perhaps, things were different in real life versus the book. I knew things were bad between us, but I never imagined he'd up and leave me especially with elves. Thorin's anger ran deeper than I ever expected.

Aelfric took my hand, his long slender fingers a warm comfort against Thorin's betrayal. "Where has your mind drifted? What ails you, Lady Adelaide? Is your wrist bothering you?" His brow furrowed in worry. "How may I be of service?"

"I..." I faltered and stared.

Instead of his usual healer garb Aelfric had donned a set of polished steel armor. A quiver of arrows slung over his shoulder and a slim sword was strapped at his side. His golden hair was tied back from his face in a sleek ponytail.

"Why are you dressed for battle? Do you intend to go after them?" I demanded, sliding free of his grip.

Aelfric wore a grim expression. "The kingdom is under attack by Orcs. It is my duty to protect my people not only as a healer but also a warrior." He adjusted a strap on his left gauntlet, the bronze detail on the leather gleaming in the candlelight. "Fear not, you will be safe within the bosom of these halls, my lady." The healer bowed deeply at the waist. "Forgive me, I must hasten to the back gate."