Chapter 16

The company tumbled through the air and landed in a pile on a rickety platform. Sharp pain shot through Thorin's head as he lifted himself up to his knees, shoving Bombur's leg off his shoulder. A swarm of goblins descended upon them almost immediately overwhelming him before he could draw a weapon.

The cave had been a trap. It was a bitter revelation for Thorin as he was dragged to his feet. He looked around and spied Adelaide unconscious at the edge of the platform, blood trickling down her temple. Her left wrist was turned at an awkward angle.

Thorin was prodded forward viciously by a group of goblins, preventing him from going to her. He had no idea whether she was dead or alive.

Dwarves possessed a hearty constitution and the plunge into the mountain left him with a mass of bruises. Thorin's entire body ached from the fall, but his concern was solely for Adelaide who appeared severely injured.

The rocks they crashed into on the way down were hard enough to shatter the bones of a mortal woman. Perhaps even kill her.

A sharp jab to his spine forced Thorin to stumble forward again. All he could do is pray to Mahal his scribe survived her injuries.

Clenching his jaw, Thorin stumbled down the maze of bridges through the tunnels until they were led to a platform where a massive goblin lounged on a throne carved from bones.

Thorin tried not to wonder at the source of those bones as his eyes darted around the cavern for an escape route. The company was in terrible peril far worse than when the orc pack chased them across the plains. Then they had the aid of two wizards.

Thorin's mouth twisted to the side. The dwarves were outnumbered, out armed, and at the mercy of the goblin legions.

Thousands of lanterns shone golden pools of light over the Goblin King's court. Thousands of tunnel mouths dotted the cavern, many with goblins gathered at the entrances.

The Goblin King chuckled maliciously when his eyes landed on the dwarves. "Well, well, what do we have here? Intruders? Thieves?" His voice rose an octave on the last word and his goblin audience cackled in glee.

The very air stunk with the promise of violent anticipation.

Thorin looked over his company, assessing the dwarves. They were relatively unharmed despite their capture by the stupid violent creatures. In the rear, a pair of goblins dragged Adelaide's prone form between them, her head lolling to the side as they heaved her across the boards.

"What is a company of dwarves doing in my realm?" The Goblin King continued gesturing widely, a grand showman for his court.

The band of fear encircling Thorin's chest broke as logic pierced through his fear.

Adelaide must be alive, otherwise they'd have tossed her body into the darkness. His hands clenched at his sides, frustration surging in his heart for his poor judgment. If not for him, none of this would have happened.

"Well?" The Goblin King roared and then his thin lips stretched into a broken grin. "I'll get my answers one way or another. How about I start with the youngest?" He suggested in an off-hand tone looking directly at Ori.

Goblins cheered.

All the dwarves tensed. Ori was the sweetest and gentlest of the dwarves. Innocent in so many ways. Thorin had promised his mother to look out for him. Every member of the company would risk life and limb for Ori.

Bofur stepped forward, puffing out his chest bravely. "I can answer your question. You see we were on our way to visit kin. We were on a path that was not a path-"