Chapter 29

Shadows danced on the tent walls, flickering shapes like  animal claws. The brazier burning brightly in the corner did little to chase away the pervasive chill that had seeped inside.

I couldn't sleep.

Every part of me throbbed and ached like I was dragged through a combine backwards and then run over by tractor tires.

In addition to my already broken wrist and leg, I had one cracked rib, a strained shoulder and one mother of a migraine. Truly, it was a miracle I survived the battle at all. The one comfort I had is that Thorin, Fili, and Kili survived. Aelfric had done it.

Gratitude washed over me for the elf and warmth settled in my belly. Only after he examined me did Aelfric tend to his own injuries. I'm not sure what I did to deserve such devotion. I've never viewed myself as exceptional.

Muted sobs carried into the tent interrupting my thoughts. The pyres of the fallen were lit, the scent of ash and burning flesh heavy in the air. The sepulchral wails of the mourners sliced across my heart. We defeated the enemy but not without a grave cost.

I struggled to sit up, wishing I could do something, anything to help. But the only thing that helped with loss is time. So, I sat a silent and invisible witness to the mass funeral in the valley feeling helpless and useless.

What felt like hours passed before someone entered the tent. Aelfric slipped inside his face still streaked with dirt and blood from the battle. When he saw I was awake, he startled. "My lady, you should be resting!"

A smile tugged at my mouth. "Please don't scold me. I can't sleep, not after what happened. Not with everyone in mourning." Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I sighed. "How are Thorin and the others?"

Truthfully, I was surprised he hadn't come to visit me yet.

Aelfric pulled up a chair to the bed. "Nursing minor injuries but the dwarves appear to be getting around well."

I bunched the blanket in my hand. "I see."

Aelfric regarded me with pity. "My lady, you truly should rest." He carefully eased my grip and wrapped his fingers around mine. "Your injuries while not grave are serious. They will take months to heal."

I winced at his assessment, as I had when he gave me the diagnosis earlier.

"Allow me to make you a draught for the pain." Aelfric said gently.

I said nothing.

A woman's shrill wail filled the gap in conversation. We listened quietly for several tense moments before the sound died down.

"I grieve my fallen kin. They fought bravely and saved many lives." Grief tightened Aelfric's brows. He bowed his head, the shadows hiding his expression. "Death is not common to elves. I am not sure how to process it."

His willingness to be vulnerable touched me, easing a little of my own pain. Not all my wounds were physical ones. I had fought. I had killed and still people died. Aelfric was a healer. His mission in life was to save people. Its no wonder he was struggling with the aftermath of the battle.

Lifting his head, Aelfric captured and held my gaze. The pain in his eyes was a visceral thing. I grasped for his hand and held it in my lap. "I don't know what to say. I've never been good at comforting others."

"Meleth nin, knowing you care is enough." Aelfric promised.

It wasn't. Not to me. He was my friend. I wanted to do more for him. Maybe the best thing I could do is make him feel useful. "Lord Aelfric, I changed my mind. I will take that draught."