Chapter 30

The elves planned to leave the valley tomorrow for home which meant I had a decision to make about where I'd spend the winter healing. Thorin's continued absence filled me with dread. There had been no word sent from Erebor since Bilbo delivered my message to him.

Did Thorin feel ashamed of his behavior when the dragon sickness consumed him? Is that why he still avoided me?

I admit he terrified me with his actions, but I can look past them for our relationship's sake. He was saved and now we had a chance to explore what existed between us.

Bilbo had departed with Gandalf this morning, the Hobbit and wizard beginning the return journey to the Shire. If the snows hit, they intended to shelter with Beorn, otherwise they planned to spend the cold season in Rivendell. Seeing Bilbo leave was one of the hardest things I'd had to contend with since the battle, but I couldn't go with him. The Shire would forever hold a place in my heart, but I didn't belong there.

So, where did I belong?

Veils of snow drifted across the cobblestones, twining misty arms together in a jubilant dance. Elves strode back and forth packing up supplies for their return journey. The humans that accepted their offer of hospitality joined in the preparations eager to find shelter before winter began in earnest.

Outside my tent I sat in the wheeled chair Alatar had left for me to use to get around while I healed. After leaving his gift and a slew of unanswered questions behind, the wizard pulled a Houdini and vanished. I still couldn't think of him as my father and doubted I ever would.

Gazing out across the camp, my mind drifted to my conversation with Gandalf the previous night. The wizard had visited me to discuss the issue of my magic, a subject I wasn't keen on.

"Regardless of your feelings towards Alatar, you must be trained." Gandalf said after I told him about the other wizard being my father.

Resting my chin in my hand, I heaved a sigh. "Why do I need training? All I can do is expel blasts of light."

"Because if you don't receive training, you might very well blow the roof off wherever you decide to shelter this winter. Now, quit your whining, Adelaide Monroe!" Gandalf snapped. "You have a decision to make."

I knew I was whining but didn't like him pointing it out. "Who do you recommend I apprentice myself to?"

The wizard considered my question carefully. "Going to Isengard would be the ideal solution."

I shuddered.

"Or you may put yourself under the guidance of Radagast." Gandalf wedged his hat on his head. "Yes, that might be best." He murmured. "Radagast will be a more suitable teacher for one of your temperament. He is patient and kind."

"Or I can stay in Erebor." I suggested.

"Radagast will return to Mirkwood. He is not going to live with the dwarves for the winter. You will have to go with him." Gandalf countered, his blue eyes narrowed with challenge.

Something told me arguing further wouldn't be a good idea.

A gust of snow blasted me in the face, returning me to the present. I drew my blanket tighter around my shoulders. The temperature had to be well below zero. Even with the blanket the cold seeped beneath my skin, chilling me to the bone.

After that, Gandalf said his goodbyes, leaving me with a pouch of Old Toby to enjoy. Without a pipe I couldn't smoke it. Maybe I could bake the weed in some bread or a dessert. Did Radagast even own a stove?

I grimaced. Damn Gandalf for being right. Whether I liked it or not I'd have to go with Radagast. I just hoped I wouldn't have to ride in his rickety sled.