Chapter 18

The moment I opened my eyes I wished I hadn't. A massive bear charged in my direction, its gaping maw revealing a mouthful of razor-sharp teeth. Fili and Kili were carrying me on a makeshift stretcher, and we were sprinting across a grassy field.

"What a time to wake up, Shaft Killer." Kili panted.

The bear's claws tore up the ground, clods of dirt flying in its wake. It was quickly gaining ground on us.

I had no idea where I was or how I'd gotten here. The last thing I remembered was falling into a mineshaft, but this wasn't the time to ask questions. Not with a massive animal trying to kill us.

I swallowed a scream and gripped the sides of the stretcher in a death grip. I dimly noticed the splint securing my right wrist. "We're supposed to play dead!" I bit out.

Kili shot her an incredulous look. "What would that accomplish?"

Nothing. I ground my teeth in frustration. Not now that the bear had marked us as prey. Son of a bitch. We were in for it now. Bears presented one of the greatest dangers to humans in the wilderness.

This one would rip us to shreds if it caught us. Figures I'd survive up to this point only to become bear chow.

Bombur outstripped Kili and Fili quickly reaching the head of the group. I wondered if his massive belly was made of air because it seemed impossible someone that large could move so quickly.

I fumbled for my coat pocket, relieved to find the mace still there. If the bear reached us, I'd spray it in the face!

Up ahead there was a house ensconced in a natural bower created by a cluster of trees and bushes. The Company sprinted through the gates into the courtyard and slammed against a massive set of oak doors at the front of the cottage. Bits of thatch drifted down from the impact.

"Open them!" One of the dwarves shouted frantically.

The bear charged into the yard and roared viciously.

Thorin shoved through the cluster of dwarves and lifted the cross bar, kicking the doors open with his boot. They all scrambled inside just as the bear crashed into the doors with the force of a battering ram.

The dwarves lurched backwards, gripping the edges of the door as the bear tried to force its head through.

Its paw swiped at Dwalin and the dwarf leapt back to avoid being impaled. He hefted his ax and slashed at the appendage.

The bear snarled, withdrawing its paw and attacked again.

"Close it!" Kili shouted, lowering my stretcher to the ground. He drew his own sword and advanced on the bear.

I glanced around frantically for a weapon; a fire poker, a plank of wood, anything to defend myself with. Something told me the mace wouldn't be enough to ward off this bear. It was too pissed off.

The cottage was spotless with scented rushes lined neatly across the floor of the foyer. I tried to get up to search another room for a makeshift weapon but found my legs fast asleep. Bilbo backed up toward me, his eyes wide with fear.

Thorin struck the bear across the nose with the flat of his blade. It recoiled with a snarl. "Hurry up!"

The rest of the Company plowed into the door, forcing the bear to retract its head, and slammed the crossbar in place.

The only sound in the cottage was the heavy breathing of the dwarves and Bilbo.

"Who...was...that?" Fili wheezed, hands on his knees.

Gandalf leaned heavily on his staff, a rueful smile curving his thin lips. "That was our host."

The dwarves gaped at him in stunned disbelief.