Chapter 15

Mountain winds gusted through the camp sending sparks spiraling up from the campfire. I huddled deeper into my coat grateful for its warmth. After sunset, the temperature had dropped several degrees even though it was the height of summer.

We were camped on a hilltop overlooking a distant mountain range to the north. Heavy storm clouds hovered on the horizon, the scent of rain a sharp tang in the air.

A pot of soup bubbled steadily over the fire, the rich scent of vegetable broth and steaming meat causing my stomach to rumble. Prior to leaving Rivendell, the dwarves had raided the kitchens for supplies. Since there were no towns or villages on our path it turned out to be a wise move.

Thorin stood off by himself, smoking his pipe. I yearned to go to him, but a sudden shyness held me back. Our relationship had changed drastically during our stay in Rivendell, and I wasn't sure what it meant. The dwarf king no longer treated me like a burden however I knew he was less than thrilled to have me along.

I glanced around at the others. It felt odd without Gandalf's grumpy presence. The wizard had remained behind to delay the elves. His plan had gone off without a hitch. No one pursued us out of the valley.

Kili and Fili were regaling the company with some escapade of theirs sending the dwarves into gales of laughter. A faint smile tugged my mouth as I settled more comfortably on the ground to listen.

"....And we had to run naked through the dwarrowdams' quarters pursued by Old Barlin. The blacksmith took exception to us using the ladies' hot springs." Kili declared, eyes dancing with laughter.

"T'was not our fault. The dwarrows' spring was being cleaned and we were filthy from an orc battle." Fili said, lips twitching slightly at the memory. "What were we to do? Go around stinking like orc?"

"It's not like they'd be able to tell the difference." I interjected cheekily.

Fili and Kili shot me identical mutinous glares, but the others cheered, breaking into raucous laughter.

"You tell 'em, lass!" Bofur chuckled, slapping me on the back, nearly bowling me over into the fire.

I caught myself at the last second, digging my heels into the soil. These dwarves often forgot how strong they were. They might be able to lift a couple tons of rock without breaking a sweat, but I was a lot more fragile.

"Oops, sorry." Bofur apologized looking guilty.

Thorin peered over his shoulder at the dwarf and arched a brow. He puffed on his pipe and returned to admiring the scenery. I wondered what he was thinking.

"Do you have a better story?" Kili challenged, getting the conversation back on track.

"What?" I asked suddenly feeling nervous.

"Tell us a story about yourself."

Fourteen pairs of eyes, including Thorin's landed on me expectantly. It's true. I'd told the dwarves very little about myself. I guess I had grown so accustomed to being a fish out of water that I had withdrawn from pretty much everyone, a shadow flitting from location to location.

Still, I had to be careful of what I told them. I couldn't risk giving away anything that might affect my quest.

Propping my elbows on my knees I rested my chin in my hands, considering what story to tell them. I'm a pretty boring person. Academics always are. I'm more likely to be found with my nose in a book than surfing in La Joya or climbing Mt. Everest.

Kili fidgeted on the verge of exploding with impatience. "Well?"

In the end, I settled on a childhood story about the time the neighbor boy dared me to saw the legs off my grandmother's garden bench with a handsaw I found in the garden shed. "I got in so much trouble. Grandma made me weed the garden all summer and I had to repair the bench I damaged."