6 - Yusuf and his Sanem

Yusuf

The night before, when it was almost dark, I had noticed that boat that had dropped anchor almost in front of my cottage, it was strange that it had stopped like that, in the middle of the sea, without any reason.

At the first light of the morning I went out of the house and looked with curiosity at the beautiful boat. I saw a man leaning against the mast and sleeping, after a few hours I saw him looking intently at the cottege of the sweet Sanem. I was struck and vaguely uneasy, what did that man have to do with my girl?

I had always been a lonely bear but that little wren of a woman had won my heart as soon as I set foot on the neighboring property. I had watched that day with curiosity as that young woman entered, with several suitcases, the small property of my old friend Murat. I had been standing on the dock setting up my nets when the young woman came towards me with a resolute step.

- Günaydın, good morning uncle- she had said to me with a sweet smile and then, unexpectedly, she had taken my hand, brought it close to her mouth and then brought it to her forehead.
My old heart had lost a beat in front of the sweetness of that gesture, those big eyes expressed a sincere pleasure in approaching me and I could not help but surrender to the instant affection for that young girl.

From that day on, my mission in life has been to take care of that angel that Allah had sent me, the daughter that life had never given me, and to make her happy with all the means at my disposal. She was for me the family I never had, the daughter and granddaughter I had dreamed of having, her heart was the treasure I most jealously guarded in this life.

I thought of the many difficulties that this little woman had faced all by herself, it was incredible to think that she could have such strength as well as the undoubted talent that had led her to be a writer known throughout the world.
I was so proud of her.

I brought my mind back to the present, began preparations to set sail with only one thought in mind: to understand what was going on and defend my treasure.

I waited for the man to return to the upper deck again to let go of the moorings and approach the boat. I saw him staring at my approaching boat with an intent look.

- Günaydın uncle- he said to me and my old heart, again, did a somersault.

Who was this man?

His gaze was direct, confident, sincere. I watched him carefully, he didn't seem to care what he looked like, his long unkempt hair and sunburnt skin hinted at a long time at sea.

- Günaydın oğul son, what brings you here? Do you need anything? -

I saw him hesitate for a moment, cast a furtive glance at Sanem's cottage, and then answer resolutely - I'm looking for a place to dock for some time, I need to stop for some necessary repairs to the boat, but I don't want to find myself in the welter of the main marinas -

I looked at him carefully, his clean face inspired confidence and I was curious to understand what he had to do with my Sanem. I offered him to dock at my marina if he wanted, I only had one boat and part of the dock was always free. He looked at me for a moment with a look full of happiness, but immediately tried to hide it by lowering his head.

- Teşekkür ederim, thank you uncle, it would give me great pleasure. This place is enchanting -

I went back to the pier and positioned my fishing boat on the side facing Sanem's cottage. I wanted to keep an eye on the boy to see what his intentions were, it didn't seem dangerous, but something was definitely going on and I had to figure out what it was.