9 - Is he here?

Sanem

I had finished work and finally had some time to myself, I went out on the small porch to enjoy a moment of well-deserved rest, it was tiring working on my second book, but slowly I was finding the right rhythm and the novel was taking shape.

My publisher, Ali, had no intention of rushing me. The fact that I had written under a pseudonym meant that I didn't have to go on a promotional tour, which was replaced by a blog where I answered readers' questions, exchanged opinions, accepted and gave suggestions on creative writing.
It was a new medium for me but one that was giving me a lot of satisfaction, it was wonderful to hear that they liked my novel, that it had made all the readers dream and now they were imagining one day living an intense love story like the one I was talking about in my book.

I let my gaze wander towards the horizon and then lowered it to my clasped hands thinking about my love story, I didn't regret a single moment of it, even though I had paid dearly for each one.

I sighed and went down the steps of the porch to go sit on the grass near the shore. That wonderful place was able to calm all my torments: the silence, the deep blue of the sea that was one with the blue of the sky, the green of the forest behind me, everything that surrounded me helped me to find my balance. I had no idea how I would have survived the last months if I hadn't found this corner of paradise that could slowly soothe my every wound. I saw uncle Yusuf's fishing boat return to the marina and smiled.

What a blessing that man had been? I had met him as soon as I arrived, I had gone to greet him and from the very moment our eyes met, we had become each other's cure. I had brought new life into that lonely and reserved old man while the wisdom of his words and the comfort of his closeness had helped me in the hardest moments. How would I have survived without him?

As I asked myself this question I put my hands on the grass behind me to offer my face to the warmth of the sun smiling, my heart knew I could never thank him enough for what he had represented in those moments.
While I was making these considerations I heard footsteps approaching, thinking it was Yusuf I opened my eyes and turned my face smiling at the newcomer.

My heart skipped a beat.
It couldn't be true, my imagination was playing tricks on me again, it had been so long since I had seen him everywhere: in the neighborhood, on the rocks in front of the Maden's Tower, in the park where we had walked.
I couldn't hallucinate again, I stiffened and stood up not believing what the treacherous eyes were showing me.

I stood there, as if intoxicated, I couldn't breathe as my crazed heart raced a thousand miles an hour.
My hands trembled and my eyes filled with tears, could it really be my albatross?

Can took a step forward and Sanem stepped back as if afraid to find out it was just a dream, she shook her head in disbelief, then she heard him speak and her heart stopped completely.

- I've come back Sanem, I've come back to stay and never go away again -

The tears that until that moment had remained between her eyelashes began to line her face, she shook her head still not believing what she was hearing, she saw him reach out a han and  raised her arms in defense, it could not be true.
She couldn't believe it and all she could do was turn to look at the sea in search of calm and comfort.