Chapter 45 - Ribbons and Trust Issues

"Loki, love, wakeup," you gently place a hand on Loki's shoulder.

He grumbles, displeased to be rousted from sleep. Nevertheless he takes the hand on your shoulder and pulls your arm into his chest - keeping you trapped in a strange, half-bent cuddle. All while keeping his eyes firmly shut.

"I'm serious," you whisper-laugh. "I need you to wake-up just for a second."

"No," Loki grumbles, turning on his side while keeping a tight hold on your arm, all but pulling you into him.

You sigh, but look upon him with soft affection as he starts to float back into sleep, keeping your hand clasped tightly in his, and your arm tucked into his chest. You think back on the first time an early morning announcement from JARVIS had woken the two of you up. Loki had all but leapt from bed, ready to fight. Although quickly calmed once he realized what was happening, he was even more displeased to learn that it meant you leaving his side. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for days. Although most often Tony's summons for Avengers to assemble in the early morning hours were simply for informational briefings from S.H.I.E.L.D. rather than true missions.

But not this time.

"Loki," you try again. "I'm leaving."

That gets his attention.

"You're what?" he says, green eyes flying open, his morning voice deep and gruff.

"I have a mission," you whisper, pulling your arm from Loki's grasp and running your fingers through his hair. "I'll be gone several days. As will most of the team. But Banner and Pepper will be here. So you won't be by yourself."

Loki rises immediately from the bed, and waves his hand in front of his bare chest, before letting out an annoyed huff.

"What was that?" you ask, amused.

"I occasionally forget I no longer have my magic," Loki responds. "Where are my clothes?" he asks, groggily looking around the floor and picking up his Asgardian gold, green, and brown leather pieces.

You let out a laugh. "Loki, what are you doing?"

"I'm going with you," he replies.

"No, Loki. You can't. You're confined to the tower," you say. But Loki continues to pull on his clothing. "Loki," you frown, grabbing his undershirt before he spots it and holding it away from his outstretched hand. "We've talked about this."

Loki's face goes cold as he observes you with an aura of detachment - as if processing his options objectively. "Where are you going this time?" he finally asks, breaking the silence.

"It's a SHIELD facility," you say gently. "So nowhere crazy."

A look of relief flits across Loki's features before being replaced with skepticism. "SHIELD," he snarls, as if the word itself tastes bitter in his mouth. "What could they need from you that their own men cannot handle?"

Oh boy.

Your mouth goes slightly dry. You're not sure how Loki will react to the knowledge that you're going to see Agent May - especially after what happened last time. As you think about how to respond, you hesitate for a fleeting second, but Loki spots it.

"Hmm," he hums, stepping toward you, stopping only inches away. "What is it you aren't telling me?"

"N-nothing!" you stammer. "It's not a big deal. I won't be in danger. We just...well, we've been called in to liaise with an asset," you say. "That's all."

Loki frowns, and you avert your gaze, casting your eyes to the floor. "Ah ah ah, darling," Loki croons, sliding two long fingers below your chin and pulling your gaze back up to him. "Look me in the eye while you try to puzzle out your lie."