CHAPTER ONE

Watching all your dreams die in one surging gulp of water was probably not a promising way to start the day, Cyann reflected. It was an idle thought, one an uninvested bystander might have before crushing reality set in.

Then she swore, her knee joints cracking as she sprang from her crouch, and leaped up from what had been a sandy shoreline only moments ago. Waves quickly lapped over her ankles, then her calves. The tide rose with alarming speed, covering everything, including the sunrise flowers she'd been sure would bloom that morning. All those months spent secretly tending the fickle shoots, waiting for the single day they flowered and pollen could be dusted from their petals—all of it wasted. Their pollen could guarantee the success of any potion and any herbalist would love to have it as part of their arsenal. It would have proved to Basim she had initiative and could do more than clean house, wash laundry, or chop dried herbs. Proved to the village she mattered. That she wasn't a wasted life. Instead, it was gone in one horrific splash: the flowers, her ambitions...My whole damn life.

With a desperate lean, she tried to pluck a handful of the nearest stems. The flowers were so close to opening, she could actually see the pearly pink shimmering through their green husks. If she could just...

The Great Sea's surging waters swallowed the last of the blooms, practically burping them out of sight. The water was at her knees now, soaking the ragged edge of her dress. Then her thighs. Her waist. And, it was hot. She could actually feel the cool water grow warmer, the temperature rising to a low simmer. If she didn't get moving, she'd be as lost as the flowers.

She scampered up the beach to a nearby palm tree grove, the waves in rapid pursuit. A look back showed the fast-rising surf crashing hard against the sand. The noise was deafening and she covered her ears. The black waters turned a sparkling, crystal blue that glowed even in the predawn hours. Such a transition could only mean one thing—the Dragontide was coming and the god's need was urgent. More important than her own, it seemed.

It's fine, she told herself. It doesn't matter what I want when the universe summons. I can't fight against a god's wishes. I'm nothing compared to that. Except she was shaking and her hands were clenched at her sides, and she was so angry she could barely think.

She breathed in and out, knowing she had to calm herself because this was just how things were. Nothing could be done to change this. You didn't rail against a god's will. You did what you were told and tried to serve as best you could...

"No! Not my sandals!"

Yes, her sandals.

Earlier she'd placed her only pair farther up the beach, thinking they'd be safe there. Now the tide sucked them out of reach. She tried to wade out into the Great Sea to retrieve them before they were gone for good. Tried, and failed. The water was too damn hot and she jumped back with a yelp. In response, the sandals disappeared with a dramatic plop.

"Damn it to the Abyss!" she swore. There was no way she could replace them; she owned nothing of value she could trade for another pair. Basim would call her careless and say she had to learn from her mistake. As if there was anything worth learning from this! Frustrated, she hurled the poorly written notes she'd scribbled in secret, her stolen cutting shears, even her worn-out apron on the ground. She knew it was childish, but she couldn't bring herself to care. Helpless rage squeezed her chest. What am I supposed to do? How do I tell Basim? He'll eventually notice I took his supplies and now I don't have anything to show for it. If he doesn't fire me, he'll beat me. Or worse, drive me from the village.

The thought immediately fell out of her head when she heard the tolling of a bell so clear and sweet, it was as if the entire world held its collective breath then sighed in response as it listened. It was followed by a boom that knocked Cyann back into a palm tree. A coconut thudded on the ground beside her when it fell from its branches.