CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

When she opened her eyes again, Cyann found herself on a beach with the roar of the surf loud in her ears. The sun shone down on her, warming both her body and the sand around her. She was comfortable enough that she didn't want to move, but itchy enough that she wasn't sure how much longer she wanted to lie in the sand. And she was herself again—human, without any wings or tail, or fire dancing from her finger tips. Under her head was her own hair, not scales or folded-over wings.

She was naked too, she realized. There was nothing between the sun and her skin, but she was so warm, it didn't really matter. Also, she was drowsy enough that it was hard to give being naked much thought. She lay on her right side and tried to go back to sleep, lulled by the waves. Unfortunately, the itch was getting to her, demanding she scratch. When she opened her eyes, she saw nothing but an expanse of white sand, palm trees edging the beach, and a cloudless blue sky.

Panicked, she sat up in a rush with a sharp intake of breath. She was back home! Back in her fishing village. No! How was that even possible? After everything she'd gone through and all that had happened, how could she be back where it all started? Had it been a dream? Was she still waiting for the sunrise flowers to bloom?

She swiveled to look up the beach, expecting to see huts dotting the shore, nets being readied for a day out on the Great Sea, plus all the other tasks that went on in a village whose life centered around two things—fish and the Dragontide. She should be lighting the cooking fire for Basim now. She had to make his breakfast, clean the workroom, then start on weeding the herb garden. If he found her there lying on the beach, and naked no less...She shivered with cold dread despite the heat.

Except, there were no huts. There was nothing on the beach except palm trees and more white sand. This wasn't her fishing village. This wasn't even her beach.

Cyann froze when she felt the hand brush the small of her back. The touch was light and very, very careful. She went still, uncertain, afraid to offer the slightest hint of movement because she was terrified to know who that hand might belong to.

"Cyann, it's me. You're safe. Look at me," the voice said, the tone gentle and it urged rather than demanded.

Niko. The relief that shot through her left her nearly boneless and it took a moment before her wildly beating heart could calm. Longer still before she could shake off the shiver of dread that chilled her. The hand continued its gentle caress, soothing as if taming a frightened animal. She supposed in a way that was exactly what she was in light of Silvator's attack. He had made her this shuddering, terrified mess and she hated him for that.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, head bowed. "I was just afraid none of it was real and I imagined it all, even you."

"I know," he answered. "It happened, I'm here, and I promise I'm not going anywhere."

That promise more than anything helped steady her and drove away the last of her doubts. Gradually Cyann turned to see Niko lying on the sand beside her. His hand shifted as she moved, sliding from her back to rest on her left hip, the long fingers splayed over her skin. She looked from it up to meet his very green eyes. She couldn't help but notice that like her, he was also naked. It was impossible not to drink in the sculpted muscles of his chest and abdominals, or see the definition in his arms that made them look and feel like granite. She also couldn't miss that he was half aroused and his interest appeared to be growing now that she'd noticed.

There was a rueful grin on his face. "I know it probably isn't appropriate, but I won't apologize for it. You're naked in front of me, and I want you."

Part of her wanted to laugh. Another part wanted to skitter away until she could sort her thoughts. She flushed a little and pulled her knees to her chest, looping her arms around them and balancing her chin on one knee. Niko's hand dropped away and she wasn't sure how she felt about that, but there wasn't much she could do about it. Not if she continued hugging herself.