CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Leaving the high priest's home, they hiked to the temple on foot. The Temple of Apollo was built into the slope of Mount Parnassus, just outside the town of Delphi. Though it wasn't a far walk, Cyann found her sandals stiff and uncomfortable. She'd spent most of her life barefoot, but any hardiness she'd had was lost in the immersion chamber. Aside from her feet—and the smells which really never went away—the day was pleasant. A single sun shone overhead, warming her skin. There were more people around than she'd ever dealt with and she felt crowded. Everyone stared at her, and the experience was unnerving. Her blonde hair, fair skin, and her height made her stand out. Maybe it would have been better if she'd had the genetic modifications, but there was nothing for it now. She wanted to do this, so she'd have to deal with the consequences.

Leaving the residential district, they entered the center of town and the market square. The narrow cobblestone streets were lined with clay-brick buildings. People milled about, mostly men though there were also women in well-chaperoned groups. The women were covered head to toe in shawls and wraps, while the men wore shorter tunics that left their legs bare from the knees down. Everyone wore the same basic tunics, but some were more elaborately designed. Those same people also wore more jewelry—necklaces, bracelets, and even earrings. It all depended on social status and wealth. Most of the men were bearded despite the heat and all were about some sort of business in the square, either selling or checking over the offerings for sale. While some of it looked like religious merchandise—small statues, incense, and oils, it was primarily everyday goods: tools, jewelry, perfumes, vegetables, fish, animals, cloth, and...people.

The last caught Cyann off-guard. Ahead was a row of five men, their wrists tied together with thick rope. They looked dirty and exhausted while the crowd examined them and made offers.

"They're selling people," Cyann said woodenly. She wasn't sure why it shocked her. She knew it existed; it was all there in her memories. People who couldn't pay their debts, had an extra child they couldn't afford, or enemies captured during wars were all sold into slavery. Yet to actually see it was something else entirely. It was even worse than what she'd left behind in the fishing village.

"It's an agriculture based, low-tech society where most of the work is done by slaves," Merelle said, her voice low. "Life is difficult here and they don't have the innovations we take for granted. That's why you're here—to make this better. But right now, we need to get you into a position to make that change."

"It's just hard to see. This is the sort of thing that can keep a world out of the Galactic Homogeny, and I don't want this world destroyed because I failed."

"It's a very young world in terms of the Homogeny's reach. No one is going to hold this behavior against them when they haven't received any sort of illumination. Change takes time," Merelle said soothingly. "Let's get you to the temple sanctuary. Today has been an ordeal I'm sure you'd like to put behind you."

They left the market square and began the procession up into the rolling hills where the temple was located. Cyann noticed an increasing number of statues dotting the hillside—votive statues dedicated to the god Apollo left behind by worshippers to gain the god's favor. They also passed pilgrims either coming or going from worshiping at the temple. Some looked upset while others were hopeful. Almost all were adult males and they eyed her curiously.

"There are worshippers here all year round, not just when the Oracle is sitting. Petitioners can ask the priests yes/no questions and get an answer by flipping a coin," Merelle explained.

Cyann blinked. "I can't believe anyone would think their future could be decided by a coin toss."

"The priests want to be sure the pilgrims still come even when the Pythia isn't sitting. But when she is sitting, crowds are lined up right back to the town. The Sacred Way here is packed with petitioners. It can number into the thousands."