CHAPTER NINETEEN

Cyann hadn't thought she'd be capable of sleep until she felt the hand on her shoulder shaking her awake. Startled, she found Lystra announcing it was time for evening prayers, or vespers as the Hellenes called it. Morning prayers were called lauds. Disoriented, she pulled herself together and followed where the girl directed. By the time she took her place at the large altar in front of the temple of Apollo, the sun was setting and the first whispers of twilight had spread across the land. Cyann noted a single crescent moon in the sky, so different from the Three Sisters back on her own world. Torches were lit and in the distance, she could see lights from the town of Delphi. They shone like jeweled beacons against the encroaching darkness and whatever else night on this strange new world brought with it.

Luckily her new memories had prepared her for vespers and she was able to fumble through the service. It involved a great deal of chanting, some singing, but mainly animal sacrifice. Cyann watched as High Priest Diocles slaughtered a goat then poured a libation of mixed wine and water on the body before it was placed on a pyre to burn. He drank the libation, offered a portion to Apollo, then shared the rest with the gathered worshippers. The same went for the meat. Diocles ate the first piece, a portion was offered to Apollo, and the remainder was passed throughout the crowd—just enough to let everyone feel as if they were part of the ritual. She decided it was a lucky thing she'd seen her own fair share of animal slaughter back in the village, or she wasn't sure how she would have reacted to the sight of the priests slitting the goat's throat.

Lystra stood on her left, Phaedra, her right. Beside Phaedra was another woman, the reserve Oracle who filled in when the primary Oracle needed a rest; Thalia was the name Cyann's memories offered up. She was much older than either herself or Phaedra, and looked tired and worn, her dark hair liberally streaked with gray.

Eventually, vespers finished and the crowd dispersed. It would all begin again tomorrow, she knew. The faithful would return and the rituals would continue with lauds—twice a day, every day. Turning, she fell into step behind Lystra. Her stomach rumbled, letting her know she'd missed a meal. She couldn't remember what sort of food she could expect on this world, but decided she'd find out soon enough.

"Lady Pythia, a moment please," a male voice called out.

It took Cyann a moment to realize the speaker was referring to her. She stopped to see High Priest Diocles approach. With him were several other bearded men of various ages she didn't know. In the growing twilight held at bay only by torchlight, it was difficult to make out their features. If she had memories of these people, they were still locked in her head, waiting to be accessed.

Ahead of her, Phaedra also stopped, making it an awkward moment when everyone realized the high priest was referring to Cyann, not her. Her expression was furious before she quickly smoothed it to one of bland curiosity. And instead of leaving, she walked back to Cyann's side, waiting to hear what the high priest had to say. The man barely spared her a glance. Instead, everything he said was addressed to Cyann.

"Your claim was quietly investigated. As it turns out, you were right. Lord Ambrus has been removed from his position and will be dealt with by the end of the week."

Cyann could only guess at what that meant, but she suspected it wasn't pleasant. It probably meant the accused wasn't going to be left alive at the end of it. If the specifics of what might happen to him were in her memories, she decided she didn't want to know. Instead, she nodded as if he should never have doubted her in the first place. "Did you think things would turn out a different way?"

The man looked tired and a little afraid. "I suppose not. The signs were there if I'd cared to notice of them, but..." His voice faded. She could see she'd hit too close to home with her 'prophecy' and it scared him.