Rebuke

Warning:

There are slight dark themes here so consider yourself warned.

🔥

She was weightless.

She was cold.

She was empty.

Mia was so very tired, her body had long ago gave up from running. She didn't know what power Mukuro had but he didn't even need to touch her to hurt her. It started as mild illusions – alone in the dark with nothing to hear and see – to extremely terrifying ones. He had the twins chase after her throughout the entire building, changing its layout each time and they always caught her. They would drag her, screaming into the dark by her hair or by her legs and the game would start again.

She managed to lock herself in a room once and the temperature dropped to sub zero degrees. One moment she was freezing, the next she was gasping for air as the room flipped, the ice melting into water. Drowning her. They didn't even let her stay unconscious for long. One of them would rouse her roughly awake, kicking her in the ribs. It hurt but she never cried, never begged for help.

She was scared, more than she had ever been in her life and she was alone.

Fuuta had long disappeared from her side, ripped away by that blonde monkey.

Mia didn't know how long they've been at it. She lost her sense of time. She didn't know if it had been hours or days. Her sanity was stretched to its thinnest.

When they stopped playing the game, Mukuro didn't even let her rest and filled those moments with images. People massacring each other, blood splattering against the walls, women and children shrieking and hands... terrible hands reaching out to her to be dragged into dark.

It was everything she could do to stay… what? Stay what? She struggled to recall any happy memories but instead unpleasant ones resurfaced to haunt her – her mother's death appeared the most.

She remembered well how she died. How could she not? She was there when it happened. When her mother reached out for her hand when the floor started to cave… when they were finally able grasp each other's hand… when he mother yanked her off the unstable floor, the action causing the section beneath her mother's feet to give away… Mia had been left to reaching into hole, still screaming, her hand empty and her mother's face burned into her mind. The thing that haunted her most though – it wasn't the expression of her mother's face but of the hand that still reached out to her.

Her darkest secret was that she killed her mother.

The guilt came rushing back, followed with memories that came after. Flashes of suppressed memories blinded her and for a moment, Mukuro's illusions weren't effective. Her fear was thrown off by the absolute disorientation from the memory rush and her mind throbbed with pain that came with it. She didn't know when the fear ended and the thoughts began but suddenly she could feel her grip on the situation returning.

The illusions no longer tormented her – no, that wasn't right. They were still there and still affect her the way it should have but she… endured it. She didn't know exactly what she was doing, but slowly, the illusions became easier to ignore and she focused on her thoughts, random thoughts that were neither positive nor negative but just was and she stayed there until they withdrew and she was left gasping on the floor on her knees and hands. Her eyes watered and she furiously blinked them away but gave in to throwing up on the floor.