A Different Side

Mia was lying face down on her bed. One of her arms and legs dangled over the side while the other half of her body was sprawled openly into the sheets. She was staring at the far wall, her expression empty. She felt like the world could burn and she couldn't care less. Her door opened and a small blonde head poked his head into the room.

Fuuta frowned in worry when he saw her. She had been this way ever since she came back last night from the beach. He clambered up her bed and sat down beside her.

"Mia-nee?"

"Hmnn?" she didn't even turn her head to look at him.

"Did something happen yesterday?" She let out a low shuddering sigh and remained silent. Fuuta shook her shoulder gently. Mia rolled to her side to look into brown innocent orbs staring at her with deep concern. Her numb heart warmed at him and she reached out to ruffle his hair.

"Mia-nee?"

"I feel weird Fuuta," she confessed to him. "My heart hurts."

The child's brows scrunched up in worry. "Are you sick?" he asked. "I can go to Hayato-nii or Mama for some medicine."

She shook her head. "It's not a sickness – although I sure wished it was."

"Then why is it hurting?"

"I don't know." Mia burrowed her face into her hair. "I just want it to go away."

"Tsuna-nii would know what to do," Fuuta declared. She flinched and instantly got up. She waved her hands wildly.

"No, no, no, I'm perfectly alright now. See?" She gave him a fake smile. "No need to call Tsuna for anything!"

"Did Tsuna-nii do something?" Mia's jaw snapped shut. Fuuta frowned. "So he did do something," he said disapprovingly. Mia's eyes turned downcast and her shoulders slumped in defeat.

"It wasn't Tsuna's fault," she said. She wasn't sure if she was defending him or justifying herself. "It was stupid of me to think that maybe he could like me like… that. I don't know what I was thinking." She ran her hands down her face. "Actually, I don't know why I'm even confessing my teenage drama to a kid."

Fuuta didn't look too happy to be addressed as a kid but it soon didn't matter when he realized what she said. "Mia-nee, you like Tsuna-nii?" Mia's face turned crimson but she gave him the tiniest of nods. Fuuta jumped up, grinning so brightly he could have been the sun. "That's great!" he exclaimed. "Mia-nee, don't give up just yet. You can still win Tsuna-nii's heart!"

Mia stared at him, her expression a mixture of exasperation, incredulous and sadness. "Fuuta, I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Doing everything that the heart wants doesn't mean it's always right."

Fuuta's grin faltered. "What do you mean Mia-nee?"

Mia voiced out her biggest fear in a whisper. "What if this ruins our friendship?" She bit her lip, waiting to see what Fuuta would think.

"How?" Fuuta was confused.

Mia almost let out an exasperated sigh. It was obvious that Fuuta was still too young to understand. But the little boy did understand. He just wondered how this could have ruined their friendship. From the way his ten-year old mind saw it, Mia liked Tsuna and Tsuna liked her. What was there to ruin it?