chapter 21 //

A/N

it's so weird to me that epic can be a genuinely formal descriptive adjective when i just link the word to fortnite my english teacher used the word epic in her sentence and i said woah bestie slow down epic gamer

here introducing = a sad Leige

Leige was laying still in the bed when his brother rather hurriedly left the room. 

If he hadn't been so caught up in enlightening himself as to why he was supposed to apologise, maybe he would have been more concerned about why George had a thin layer of sweat on his forehead, and why he had ran out so quickly after a brief conversation.

However, as of now, he didn't, and so he stayed clueless on the fact that his journey was about to become a lot more complicated. 

Finally moving by looking out of the window, Leige observed the position of the sun to determine that it was not too late for school to have ended. 

Well, it was probably time for him to apologise to Angelica. 

However, the issue that had been bugging him previously, before George's peculiar entrance, and before Yumi's rather touching concern, were the odd words from the class president.

'magic from the Orcus' 

He was thirsty for any kind of knowledge that would either directly help him or simply enable him to understand more about the world he was living in. 

Learning about the 'magic from the Orcus' would let him properly explore a new branch of magic in this world, and could, if he was being rather optimistic, let him have a little peek as to how magic worked, and how he could perhaps use it for himself.

What he was clear on, however, was that the chance that 'magic from the Orcus' was actually what had brought him here in the first place was near miniscule.

This was because of a simple look at the name. 

Orcus had a few different versions of origin, but it was unanimous that he was a God of the Underworld in Roman and Italic mythology, and was the punisher of broken promises, with the purpose of tormenting souls who broke their oaths. 

This simply did not seem to apply to Leige's current situation. 

Although it may have been too early to say, 'torment' was not the kind of word used for the situation he was in, nor had he, in his memory, broken any oaths that outed him as a person who had made some inherently horrible decisions worth of being imprisoned in the underworld. 

After all, he was not sure that there had ever even been anyone he would have promised anything to, let alone to break a promise to.

However, there was a possibility that 'Orcus' had not actually been referencing the deity in Ancient Roman mythology, and was simply a name for the underworld.

In which case, it would make sense that the class president had jumped to that in the fact that it was a broader scope of the idea of death and evil rather than the rather specific magic related to the punisher of souls with broken oaths. 

Nonetheless, he thought that the use of Orcus instead of a more common word for the underworld, such as hell, was too specific of a choice to ignore.

In fact, what he was actually more interested in was the presence of mythology in this world. Since there was one strand of magic relating to a god from Ancient Roman mythology and religion, surely there would be others, others which would collectively largen his understanding of what magic was.