chapter 17 //

A/N

kind of traumatised from reading comments because i dont like it when people dont like what i write but i just checked my latest chapter and you are all so cute omg sorry i update like once before hibernation every winter

Leige watched in growing anticipation as students got beaten up for everyone to see. He knew by now that there was no chance of him winning, nor would he leave unscathed. 

After all, this wasn't a novel, it was real life. There was no such thing as 'plot armour' or sudden power boosts that would enable him to win the mini class tournament. He didn't have a 'system', he didn't have any particular handicaps except for his own intelligence, which wouldn't help him much now.

He was in this alone. 

However, there was no more time to pity himself as the teacher continued to work down the register.

"Leige Valentine, Angelica La Verne, please make your way onto the stage." the field which was previously tense melted into collective snickers as the rest of the class relaxed. They simply could not wait to see Leige, their enemy, being beaten up. 

Leige looked over at Angelica, who was already walking up confidently to the stage, which was just an area of grass.

Although he knew her surname would be close to his, he didn't expect to have to fight her. 

Taking a deep breath, Leige stood up, adjusted his school uniform and followed.

"Don't expect me to go easy on you, Leige-sama." Angelica sneered, fixing her purple hair into a ponytail.

Well, it wasn't like Leige ever expected that in the first place, but he stayed quiet as he scanned the field, noticing Yumi's nervous gaze. 

"Do I get a weapon?" he asked quietly to the teacher. Since no one else was at rank 5, they all had their own individual weapons they could summon or make. However, he couldn't do that with no magic. The least the school could do to give him a little bit of a chance would be giving him a weapon.

The teacher froze for a moment, averting her eyes as she spoke arrogantly,

"Why would you get a weapon? Your rank is not a concern to the school, we cannot afford to supply one person with a selection of weapons! It would just go to waste!" she was definitely lying.

The averting of eyes and the thin sheen of sweat that covered her forehead was enough for him to tell. Angelica seemed to know this too, evident by her furrowing her eyebrows. 

However, the teacher obviously didn't want to supply anything to Leige that would increase his miniscule chance at winning, and Leige wasn't very concerned, so he let it go. 

After all, he knew how much everyone would continue to dislike him if he complained about his lack of weapon, and although he had forgotten about his main main goal as he was focused on the prospect of magic, he knew that he needed to change the plotline so that people did not hate him as much so he could live a peaceful life. And to do that, he couldn't complain when he knew what his classmates wanted.

So he just walked to his place on the field as Angelica prepared herself.

Angelica was at a loss at what to do. As much as she hated Leige, she would much rather have a fair fight with him than simply beat him up. Not even giving him a weapon resulted in her certain victory, but it just felt like she was cheating or something. 

She had been raised in a poor yet open family, so poor that she ended up having to work as a maid for her worst enemy! But she was trained and she knew that taking advantage of someone was wrong, and so she couldn't help but feel uncomfortable about the sudden obedient Leige.