chapter 9

A/N

lmao not sure if this makes sense yolo 

Thinking back to all of his books, he made a small theory. He thought back to his previous world, and the project he had been working on, 'CRISPR'.  By using short RNA molecules as a template, Cas would make highly sequence‐specific cuts in DNA molecules, that could then be exploited to insert genes or to precisely modify the nucleotide sequence at the cut site. In all honesty, they had only realised the importance of CRISPR relatively recently, with Haruka being appointed one of the branch leaders in the Japanese teams. 

CRISPR had the ability to edit the genomes of any organism, from microorganisms to plants to human cells. The most controversial topic by far had been editing human embryos. CRISPR had offered to humanity the chance to have babies immune to diseases that had been threatening the world's population, or repair fatal gene defects. 

However, in his world, the authoritative speakers made the decision to focus on modifying  insects, animals, plants, and microorganisms and to produce human therapeutics. 

But this world was different. What if.. what if that had never happened? What if the population did nothing to pressure the researchers, politicians and scientists to not experiment on human embryos?

Haruka had a theory. What if, this civilisation had been extremely advanced in technology? If they had ultimate knowledge of almost everything? If they were extremely advanced in technology, it would have probably meant that they were tyrants, hungry for more information, more power... it would have made sense for them to move on to experiment with humans. After all, in a world were everything was known, what was left to research? Other than themselves. 

It was certainly possible. Why wouldn't they? Even Haruka thought that humans were one of the most interesting topic of research.

If they had found something.. an ability, a skill, somehow...

Who was to say that they couldn't enhance it? Enhance... or create.

Haruka's mind was racing. To Kouji, if he had looked up from his work, it would have seemed like the young boy was sleeping, hugging his pillow.

After all, this was an advanced civilisation, with knowledge of things humans on Earth couldn't even dream of.

It was like bioaccumulation, in a way.  Gene drives could be used to alter population‐wide traits, so if these modified humans were too powerful to contain, compared to weak researchers, who were designed to think, not fight, of course hell would break loose. 

If a civilisation was focused on advancing technology, surely the people with authority would be weak, small, ants compared to these new, fire-breathing, lighting-zapping monsters

Since a gene drive is preferentially inherited by all offspring, this new generation would give birth to others just like them. Who was to say that they didn't rebuild humanity over again? 

Haruka still wasn't sure on how the people were modified, it was something he had to figure out next. He had to admit that this explanation seemed a bit far-fetched. It was like something out of a manga his sister would pester him to read. But this was a fictional world. Anything could happen.

He was pretty sure that the world had changed when he entered anyway, a person from a different world, messing up the story the world was set to go on. However, he was also sure that the characters had consciousness. George was a prime example of this. He had completely parted from his in-game character and was now different.

Haruka hesitated at what he had put together in his mind. Reaching for 'The history of magic and why it exists' book, which in all honesty was just praising their ancestors, he flipped to the page that he had marked.

The great mage stood from the crumbling ashes of the past. He alone stood, to be worshipped and praised by others as he brought us our freedom. He, who had cut down our enemies, who had trapped us, looked down on us...

This had been an important statement to Haruka. The 'crumbling ashes of the past' could be translated to the remains of buildings and people after they had broken free, gained consciousness. Using 'ashes', the author had insinuated that everything had been burnt to the ground, which symbolised destruction. He doubted that fire was the only element used in the massacre, but it was the only element which could begin to explain the destruction caused by the new wave. After all, if it had been written 'the drenched streets of our past' Haruka felt as though it ruined the atmosphere...

It just didn't seem too threatening.

Satisfied with his thoughts, Haruka legitimately fell asleep this time. 

Kouji looked up from his work to see that there was half an hour of lunch yet, with him not eating anything yet. Taking out his specially prepared lunchbox, taking a wipe and cleaning his hands, he took a glance at the sleeping boy.

Should he wake him up? Kouji didn't exactly want to eat with anyone, but the young boy also had never voluntarily spoken to him, so he reckoned that it would be fine. Taking a metal pole from under his desk to avoid touching the boy with his hands, he poked the boy's cheek carefully. 

The cheek was more squidgy than expected, and Kouji took a small delight in poking the young one's cheek.

Leige woke up after feeling something poke him multiple times. He opened his eyes blearily to see a metal pole in his face. Looking around it, he saw mystery man Kouji holding it. He deduced that Kouji had been poking him with a metal pole, but wasn't curious enough as to ask why.

"what?" his soft voice travelled across the room to Kouji, who was still poking his cheek. Stopping immediately as he realised it looked very strange, he reluctantly placed the metal pole back where it belonged in his desk.

"Lunch." his one word answer was enough to get Leige to realise he was hungry. Looking through his schoolbag in slight dismay as he didn't remember packing anything except books this morning, his eyes lit up as he pulled out a neatly wrapped box, courtesy of George.

Eying the box, Leige unwrapped it and to his delight saw sashimi with a small container of soy sauce. Finding out that the box had two layers, he excitedly opened the next box to see if filled with half rice and the other half vegetables and egg rolls.

Kouji looked at the boy's plain lunch amusedly, opening his own complex and intricate lunch that he had prepared himself in the morning. After all, he preferred not to eat other people's food. 

They both ate in silence, Leige happily eating away as the box was filled with his favourite, simple foods.