twenty seven

For the first time in a while, I wake up before Ashton does. He looks so peaceful while he sleeps. His soft curls rest on his face and his lips stay a little parted to allow tiny snores to come out.

I carefully get out of my bed to avoid waking him up. There's still a while before breakfast closes so I just go ahead and get dressed. Hopefully, Ashton wakes up soon and we can get breakfast together.

*the outfit

I hear rustling coming from the bed, making me turn my attention to him

I hear rustling coming from the bed, making me turn my attention to him. Ashton sits up and rubs his eyes. A smile comes across his face when he sees that I'm already up.

"Good morning babe," Ashton stretches out his arms.

"Good morning," I go over to the side of the bed where he is and place a kiss on his cheek.

This morning feels better than they have been. I wanna stay in this feeling forever. It's the refreshing lightness that I felt in the beginning of Ashton and I's thing. I've missed this. I've missed us.

"Someone slept well," I smile as Ashton gets out of bed.

"I did. I slept great," He says. He kisses my forehead before heading to his suitcase to pick out an outfit for himself.

He pulls out a gray shirt and giggles at the piece. He tosses it on the bed behind him and grabs a pair of jeans. I take the shirt and observe it, making me giggle as well.

"My little pony?" I ask him, putting the shirt back on the bed.

"I need to do some laundry," Ashton chuckles. He changes into his outfit. He doesn't wear a bandana today since his hair looked nice how it fell naturally.

"Wanna get breakfast? Just me and you?" I bite my lip, I'm not sure what he will say.

"Of course. It's been a while," Ashton says, taking my hand.

I feel so happy with him right now. I almost don't trust this feeling since lately any happy moment with Ashton has been cut short.

We get down to the breakfast bar and grab our plates. I decide on some avocado toast with berries on the side. We pick a booth next to the window and sit across from each other.

"What should we do today?" Ashton asks before taking a bite out of his muffin.

"I dunno. Do you have any plans?" I ask him. I wasn't sure if him and Josslyn had made any plans for press stuff today.

"Nope. Today is for me and you," Ashton reaches his hand across the table and holds onto mine, "I feel like I've been an awful boyfriend."

Well, he kind of has. Not his fault though I guess.

"Aw, Ashton, you're not a bad boyfriend. We just have bad circumstances," I shrug my shoulders.

"Well, I still feel that way. We've both been getting close to people outside the relationship and we need to circle back to each other," Ashton says, squeezing my hand.

Is he talking about me getting close to Calum? I thought he was over that.

"What do you mean both of us have been getting close to other people? I've only been friendly to people," I say, sounding a little confused.

Ashton chuckles, "Natalie, it's obvious that you and Calum are getting close. And I don't mean in a friend way."

"Ashton, that isn't true. We're just good friends now. You and Josslyn have been getting close in a more not-just-friendly way," My eyes meet his. I keep my composure since we're in public.

"No, we haven't. We just need it to look real," Ashton says.

Why can't he see through it?

I choose to be quiet and not respond. I hate arguing and especially with him. I finish my breakfast and leave the table without him so I can have my space. I go back up to my room and shut my door. I just need to be alone right now.

I start to drift off into a nap but the knocking on my door wakes me up. I sigh and get up to open my door. It's Vivian, what a relief.

By the look on my face, Vivian must've seen something was off. They immediately ask me what's up so I tell them about breakfast. I add in every small detail about Josslyn and Ashton that's been bugging me since the beginning.

I can see Vivian's expression slowly turn more angry. By the end of my story, Vivian is taking my hand and dragging me to the end of the hall where Josslyn's room is. Vivian bangs on the door and it gets open pretty fast.

Viv storms in and I shyly follow in after. Of course, Ashton's in here too.

"Alright, since both of you are here, I'll go ahead and share my thoughts. Starting with you, Ashton," Vivian spits at him, "You're ruining your own relationship. You're off being with this girl any chance you get and then you're mad at Natalie for being friends with Calum. Prick move, Ashton. You're so lucky to have a relationship with Natalie. She's anyone's dream girl. But you're throwing it away for this!" Vivian gives Josslyn a nasty look.

Ashton sits there in silence. His gaze moves from Vivian and over too me.

My jaw is dropped open from Vivian's actions. I can't believe she came in here and just went it. It's a move that I should've been able to predict but I never thought she'd have to use it on Ashton.

Vivian's body shifts over to face Josslyn better.

"And you, you're a home-wrecking bitch who is all talk and no action. You are really trying your hardest to ruin a great relationship. It's your job to fake being with him in public but that doesn't mean you need to steal him away. Are you unable to get someone who isn't taken? Are you that desperate that you need to manipulate someone into being with you? Stay in your lane Josslyn and leave them alone," Vivian scolds her.

Josslyn has a similar reaction as Ashton did. I don't mind her being upset as much as I did Ashton. I don't join in on Vivian's lecture. She's doing great at it.

"I think you guys should leave. Josslyn and I need to talk about something," Ashton mumbles.

Hearing him say that broke my heart into a million pieces. Vivian scoffs and drags me out of the room. Vivian's muttering something under their breath but I can't make it out.

I feel frozen and numb. I can't make out how I feel right now. Disappointed, confused, saddened, I'm not sure.

We go back to my room. Michael and Luke join us to try and keep my mind off whatever Ashton and Josslyn could be talking about. I need to know.

After what seems like ages, but was really a couple hours, Ashton knocks on my door. Everyone's head turns at him, standing there seeming uncomfortable with the situation.

"Natalie, can I talk to you privately?" Ashton says, his hazel eyes look pooled up with tears.

I look around the room at my friends. I motion for them to leave. Vivian makes me promise that I'll text her to come in if things go south.

Everyone leaves, meaning it's just Ashton and I now. He comes over to the bed and sits down. He's already choking up before he can speak.

The words that come out of his mouth break me more than I could've expected.

As much as this job as given me, I hate it right now.

_____
authors note
cliffhanger 😩 i feel bad

what do you guys think ashton said? what do you think about vivian's lecture?