thirty seven

"Yeah, I'll be your girlfriend again," I smile at him.

Ashton's face lights up with excitement. He reaches over and takes my hand to kiss the top of it. His dimples are prominent on his cheeks.

"You won't regret it, babe," Ashton says.

We pay for the meals then collect our things to leave. We both weren't ready for the night to end so we walked around the city, just to sight see around. The town that we are at has pretty lights strung around the poles.

Ashton and I walk together, hand in hand. Despite the few others walking around us, it feels as if it's only us here. It feels peaceful and calm. And after all that's happened, I never want this to end.

I glance up at Ashton as we walk. His smile has never looked this big before. I missed seeing that. I've missed us. I missed Ashton.

Ashton's POV

I got my person back.

Walking with my fingers intertwined with Natalie's makes me feel soft, warm, or whatever sappy word you associate with love. I've missed her so much.

I really do regret the way I acted. I have no idea what came over me. But, I'm gonna do better. I'll be a better man for Natalie. I'll be the great guy that she deserves.

After we walked for a while, Natalie started to get tired so we went back to the hotel. I walked her to the room and she stops me before I walk away to my own room.

"You can sleep in here, if you want to," She smiles, standing with her head rested on the door frame. 

I smile as I make my way back to her room. Nat doesn't have to offer me twice to sleep in there. We get ready for bed.

I look at her while she crawls into the bed. I can't help but smile at Natalie when she turns to face me, reaching her arms out as a gesture for me to join her.

God, she's so cute.

I climb in beside her, she wraps her arms around my body. I can feel the softness of her hair and smell the vanilla perfume she was wearing from earlier. The whole moment feels so peaceful that it doesn't take me long to drift off.

Natalie's POV

Waking up beside Ashton today felt nice. I can hear the birds chirping outside and the sun is peaking through the curtains.

We go to breakfast but this time, Calum is at the dining hall with Michael and Luke. I know Ashton is going to tell them that we got back together. While I don't want to keep our relationship a secret, I also don't want to see Calum's face when he hears the news.

I sit down at the table, across from Michael. I guess he could sense my nerves because he mouths an "You okay?" to me. I nod my head in response. I am okay. I just don't want to hurt Calum anymore than I already have.

Ashton sits beside me and wraps his arm around my shoulder. He smiles at the boys as he squeezes me into a side hug.

"Well, she said yes," Ashton chuckles.

I look down at the ground to avoid making eye contact with Calum. I can hear Michael and Luke congratulating us on getting back together.

Calum's POV

Does it hurt to see his arm around her? Yes. But, am I gonna suck it up for friendships sake? Also yes.

"I'm really happy for you two. I hope it all works out this time," I smile at Ashton.

Natalie's head shots up from the ground. She was probably expecting me to stay quiet. I want her in my life still so I just have to ride this out until their relationship doesn't affect me.

It's so weird to think about how nasty I was to them at first. All because Ashton had something that I wanted. But, I'm over that now. I'm a better person because of all this. At least, I think that I am.

We make our way back to the bus. I take my things to our bunks. Natalie comes through while I'm unpacking.

"Hey Cal," She says, "Are you okay?" Her eyes look apologetic. I know that she feels terrible.

"Yeah. I'm okay," I smile at her.

I set my things down and pull Natalie into a hug. I feel her body relax in my arms. We stand there hugging for a moment but I pull away.

Natalie goes to walk back to her room but I call out her name before she gets too far.

"Yeah?" She asks me.

"If you ever need someone to teach you more songs on the bass, call me," I chuckle.

Natalie chuckles, "I'll have you on speed dial."

Ashton comes in not long after Natalie leaves. He pats my shoulder as he walks through as a greeting. I'm happy for him. If I had to pick another guy for Natalie to be with, it would be Ashton. I know he'll treat her well this time.

______
authors note

thoughts?

also spring break just started for me to that's exciting 😏